starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Check request

Default Squat Form Check request

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Male, 26 years old, ~175 lbs @ 20% body fat. Third week of program.

Weird things have been happening with my squat. I started at 135, found my leaps were very small but got up to 155 lbs. Then two days ago when I did my last workout I had to drop down to 145 (as you see in the video) which I could only do three reps.

What is going on? I can only assume my form is either wrong now or was wrong before since it seems strange that I would be getting weaker. I haven't missed a workout and I am eating 3,000-3500 calories per day and getting plenty of sleep. My other lifts are increasing steadily (bench went from 155 lbs to 180, press from 90 to 115, deadlift from 185 to 245).

What am I doing wrong?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FYIAEMkbpU

First, stand up straight before each rep.

Too much depth and relaxation in the bottom. Cut off your depth a bit and stay tighter. Should feel tight in your hamstrings, adductors, pretty much whole backside. Be sure to actively shove your knees out and don't let them wobble around or come forward after the first third-half of the way down.

Get your head and eyes looking down 4 feet in front of you and drive straight up with the hips, making sure to stand all the way up at the top. Currently you're lifting your head and chest and killing hip drive (in addition to the relaxation in the bottom).

A 3/4 view from behind or at least also showing your feet in the shot would be more helpful.

So after you fix easy things like standing up at the top and looking down, main things to think of are:
    - Cut off depth and stay tighter by keeping the knees out hard
    - Drive straight up with the hips