starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check please

Default Squat form check please

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Just trying to get opinions on my squat form. Seems like as the weight has gotten heavier my knees have had some slight pain in them for a little while after I finish squatting. Anyway here is the link for the vid. Sorry for the plumber crack ahead of time

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHfIqyFZDlk

Weight was 215 lbs if you are curious.

Your feet are too far out. Bring them in. When you squat down, shove your knees out - like yo have a spring between them. Notice how your knees are "inside" your toes. Your knee and feet should be aligned.

Are you wanting to do high bar squats or low bar. You look like high bar right now.

Thanks for the quick reply! I am trying to do low bar but it seems like if I bring the bar any lower on my back than what it is in the video it hurts like a son of a bitch.

Your thoracic spine crumbled backwards and your lumbar spine collapsed forward. I have never seen this butt-wink variation before. T-spine flexibility isn't bad though. . . anyway you should fix these things.

LOL I see your buttcrack

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

Quote Originally Posted by savage018 View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply! I am trying to do low bar but it seems like if I bring the bar any lower on my back than what it is in the video it hurts like a son of a bitch.
    Where does it hurt? You're almost certainly holding the bar wrong when it's in a lower position, but I'm trying to figure out where you go wrong.

Just got back from the gym and I focused on pushing my knees out at the bottom of the squat and it seemed to help quite a bit. Knees felt much better!

starting strength coach development program
    Brodie,

I dunno. The position I have the bar at in the video is the most comfortable. If I bring it any lower it starts to push down on my shoulder blades and hurts pretty bad if I have a significant amount of weight on it.