starting strength gym

Thread: Fairly fat friend, can't get him to keep his back straight when deadlifting or squatt

Default Fairly fat friend, can't get him to keep his back straight when deadlifting or squatt

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I started my fairly fat friend on the barbell lifts. I got his form down pretty well on press and bench press. He's even got good depth on the squat.

The main issue is his back. I can't get it to stay straight when he deadlifts, or squats. I'm thinking it is because his gut is getting in the way I'm not 100% sure. I know I'll be told to upload a video, but I'm unable to get a video of him being as he's uncomfortable of having a video of himself on the internet.

I had him do supermans on the floor to activate his lower back, I applied pressure with my hand to his lumbar spine muscles to try to get him to think of activating them, but to no avail. When he bends down to grab the bar on deadlift it rounds, and when he squats down it rounds.

I just want to keep him motivated with the barbell lifts without injuring him.

He's 24, 5'10 about 240ish.

His last training sessions were the following:
    Squat 3x5 @ 155
    Press 3x5 @ 45 (worked him up to using the regular bar finally, he has a pre-existing shoulder injury)
    Bench 3x5 @ 125
    Deadlift 1x5 @ 150

Has anyone had a similar experience? Is this something that will fix itself with time? Could it be flexibility? Too much fat getting in the way?

Thanks!

Maybe try telling him to push his gut out as far as possible. I remember when I was fat and starting to lift I was too self-conscious and would try to pull my gut in, which naturally rounds the lower back. Once I got a handle on pushing my gut out everything went smoothly, and now it is second nature (and I no longer have a gut!).

Quote Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
    Maybe try telling him to push his gut out as far as possible.
    Do NOT have him do this.

Sorry, but comments are just not going to be productive without video. Find an in-person coach, or purchase a video editing program that will let you pixellate or put a box over your friend's face or something. Find a solution that lets someone experienced give feedback on what your friend is actually doing. Don't rely on random people on the Internet stabbing wildly in the dark.

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

Quote Originally Posted by Simma Park View Post
    Find an in-person coach, or purchase a video editing program that will let you pixellate or put a box over your friend's face or something.
    Or film at a 45 degree rear angle...can't see someone's face that way.

But Simma's right...without video it's pure speculation...and speculation not only is frequently ineffective, it sometimes is dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by Brodie Butland View Post
    Or film at a 45 degree rear angle...can't see someone's face that way.

But Simma's right...without video it's pure speculation...and speculation not only is frequently ineffective, it sometimes is dangerous.
    Ok, I thought I might get these responses. Thanks for the feedback guys, I'll see if I can convince him to get a video.

starting strength coach development program
    Fair enough.