starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift Form Check / Help with Rounding Back

Default Deadlift Form Check / Help with Rounding Back

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I cannot for the love of me try get my form down for the deadlift.

I have two videos here, the first one is me following the SS steps 1 - 4, bar over mid foot, bend at knees to grab bar then chest up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVz3le127ec&t=15

as you can see there is significant rounding.

Here is my last workout sessions where I try and set up with the bar a farther out then mid feet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhFX-_0e5e4

Here my hips are a bit lower, back rounds a bit less but still do.

I'm not a coach, so take my recommendations with a grain of salt, but I see several form issues:

1. When you set up from the bar, your hips are dropping dramatically. Just touch the bar with your shins. The hips stay put.

2. Pull the slack out from your arms. When you start the move I see the arms lengthen. They should be straps attached to that bar, not participating in the move.

3. Most important to fix your rounded back, think 'chest up'. THis will help position your scapula over hte bar.

4. Stop with that looking left shit before every rep. Look at the floor about 10 feet in front of you. Not at your feet, not to the left.

5. Look at the movement of the bar as it passes your knees. With your hips so low, it's moving out of it's ideal plane, and your expending energy in an inefficient way. Focus again on chest up and keep your scapula over the bar, this will help center it over midfoot.

91blckgt did a good job here. Your highest priorty is setting your back. You need Chest Up as hard as you can in the setup before you start to pull. Stick with the first video set up and listen to the other coaching points above.