starting strength gym
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Squat/Deadlift low back rehab from the ground up. My form progress log

Default Squat/Deadlift low back rehab from the ground up. My form progress log

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi,

I popped my low back a few weeks ago during a heavy squat. I missed a few workouts and I'm finally back to working out. I deloaded very much on my squat (330 -> 115) and deadlift (395 -> 225) to rehab. I'm on GSLP so I'm squatting twice a week and deadlifting once. Upper body lifts are still okay. I"m adding 10/20 depends every squat workout and 20/30 or 40 every deadlift session. My back feels great but I"m following the rehab (Starr I believe) with high reps and low weights, working back up.

I'm starting this thread to track my progress on my rehab. I'm also taking this oppurtunity to make sure my form is good. I'll post weekly or every now and then my forms to make sure they are good. When the weight gets heavy, I hope my form won't go to shit very much.

Feel free to comment on my form please, every session/workout. In the future this thread will hopefullly show how someones form goes from decent to shit as the weight gets heavy. What I'd like comments on :

1. Depth
    2. Bar postion
    3. Knees
    4. Overall

Thanks for reading and thanks for commenting.
    Cheers.

12/1412
    Squat @ 175lbs

grand666,

Overall these look pretty good. My only comment is that these are high bar squats not low bar. You may be performing them like this intentionally but if not, watch the bar placement video that Rip made a while back.

Hope this helps,

JP

Really? Damn that sucks because I use a piece of chalk and my buddy draws a line below the spine of my scapula. when I put the bar on my back he says that's where the chalk line is.

Dammit. I'll post today's video's this afternoon. Thanks for commenting man.

This sucks.

Monday 12/17/12

Squats at 195lbs.

We took a nice close up of my back and the bar position. I feel like it's in the right possition but please comment if it's not.

PS: The last video is when I tried to put the bar as low as I can until it hurts my shoulder. Which one is correct?

I appreciate the help guys thank you.
    Cheers

Bar is low.

Quote Originally Posted by hamburgerfan View Post
    Bar is low.
    In which video? Do you mean too low or that it's correct?

In both videos they are low. I'm almost 100% sure on the first one and 100% on the second.

Wednesday 12/1912

Deadlift. 245lbs for 6 reps.

Alright. I know the cue to show the wall in front of you your nipples and I squeeze it as far as I can without starting to pick up the bar. Please comment on the bar path, tightness, set up, lockout etc.

Thanks guys, back feels very good but I'm sticking with the rehab.
    Cheers.

Deads looked fine, though I don't get the regripping between reps. The usual rule is that once you let go of the bar, the set is over, and standing up for a re-grip makes them a bunch of singles, not a set.

Squats looked a bit like a legpress, you could try to lean over/sit back a bit more, maybe. You are quite upright. You also seem to drift slightly backwards in stead of up, out of the hole. I do this myself as well, and it dilutes your hipdrive. Thinking of hips UP not back works to some extent. But overall your squats look fine to me (and lowbar in both vids, from what I can see).

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by DV View Post
    Deads looked fine, though I don't get the regripping between reps. The usual rule is that once you let go of the bar, the set is over, and standing up for a re-grip makes them a bunch of singles, not a set.

Squats looked a bit like a legpress, you could try to lean over/sit back a bit more, maybe. You are quite upright. You also seem to drift slightly backwards in stead of up, out of the hole. I do this myself as well, and it dilutes your hipdrive. Thinking of hips UP not back works to some extent. But overall your squats look fine to me (and lowbar in both vids, from what I can see).
    Really? First time I heard of it. I thought it's good to put the bar back over the midfoot because it does move out-of-it's-path some. I'll remember it next time.

...lean over/sit back...
    Thanks dude. I do feel a difference in my form now with the new bar position (used to put it too low then get bicep pain). How do you judge how far to lean over? This might be dumb but it won't hurt my low back again at heavy weights will it? In my head it sounds like a good morning in a way?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast