starting strength gym

Thread: Starting Strength for Personal Trainers Workshop

Default Starting Strength for Personal Trainers Workshop

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025

For more info or to register, click here.

Has there been a departure from the (I believe former) requirement that the trainers at a gym using the name "Starting Strength" be an official honest to God, test passing "Starting Strength Coach"? If so, when was this change made and why?

I ask because I don't think I am smart enough, knolwegeable enough or experienced enough to ever become a "Starting Strength Coach" but if you ever opened one of the affiliate gyms near me I would like to participate in some way as a (lower case c) coach or trainer.

I get the feeling there have been some evolution or change to your thining on this. Has there been?

Starting Strength Coaches operate our affiliate gyms under their certification. The franchise gyms all have a SSC as head coach, and they operate under a franchise agreement with our franchise company. Under either model, there will be coaches working under the SSC who are not certified.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Starting Strength Coaches operate our affiliate gyms under their certification. The franchise gyms all have a SSC as head coach, and they operate under a franchise agreement with our franchise company. Under either model, there will be coaches working under the SSC who are not certified.
    I understand. Were not certified coaches always allowed? I was under the impression that was verboten....

Allowed to do what?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Allowed to do what?
    Allowed to train people at a gym using the name "Starting Strength"

starting strength coach development program
    If you are a SSC, you can train people anywhere. If you are a SSC and own a gym, your gym can be listed an a Starting Strength Affiliate Gym. If you own a Starting Strength Gym, you are required to have a SSC on staff, among other requirements.