starting strength gym

Thread: Unconventional Unracking for Squats

Default Unconventional Unracking for Squats

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi,

So I'm a novice that just started SS last week. I've learnt the lifts and have the app which helps me work out warm up sets (I love the app). I've added 15kg to my deadlift already (only small at 55kg) and made progress with all other lifts

I don't go to a gym, instead I train at home with my barbell and bench. I don't have a squat rack as I train in my room and it wouldn't be nice to have a squat rack in there

The bench I have is something like this (not including the weights): Gorilla Sports Weight Bench with 100KG Vinyl Complete Weight Set: Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Outdoors

To squat, I use my bench to take the pillars (where the weight sits) and face them the other way. I then go to the back of the bench and unrack the weight to squat.

The height of the bar is around my belly button and I feel like I'm getting away with this due to the light weights

Is this a big issue and what would you recommend me do?

Thanks

Get a squat rack or a gym membership.

Quote Originally Posted by Humzah View Post
    Is this a big issue and what would you recommend me do?

Thanks
    When I first started out I did this too. Huge mistake. Once the weight was anything other than trivial my knees started hurting something terrible due to what I can only assume was forcing my body into a horrible configuration. IMO this is worse than just not squatting. Listen to TMPHBITEU. I ended up building my own rack. The knee pain went away in short order.

If you don't want a squat rack, squat stands can do...
    A rack is pretty damn nice, though, 'specially when the weight starts increasing and at some point you might fail a rep. For that reason, a rack also makes benching WAY SAFER!

Quote Originally Posted by Alchemist View Post
    When I first started out I did this too. Huge mistake. Once the weight was anything other than trivial my knees started hurting something terrible due to what I can only assume was forcing my body into a horrible configuration. IMO this is worse than just not squatting. Listen to TMPHBITEU. I ended up building my own rack. The knee pain went away in short order.
    Wow, thanks for the heads up!

I think I'll have to invest in a squat rack then. I could store it in the shed and do my workouts there instead of my room... but it's very cold there

Where have you put your squat rack if you got one?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by dhalli View Post
    If you don't want a squat rack, squat stands can do...
    A rack is pretty damn nice, though, 'specially when the weight starts increasing and at some point you might fail a rep. For that reason, a rack also makes benching WAY SAFER!
    Yeah, I'm pretty light atm so I think I'm getting away with it. I think I'll invest in a rack

Thanks!