starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Check

Default Squat Form Check

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Steve & Other SSCs,

Thanks again for your advice in this forum. Threads (and video links) associated to my last two requests are here: https://startingstrength.com/resourc...orm-check.html

Here's my latest at 205lbs: YouTube

I've tried to correct for the lumbar overextension, the grip/hand-placement (pardon the tenaciously extended left-thumb, not sure what's going on there) and getting bent over earlier. Things I still see in my video:
    • Not staying in my hips long enough out of the hole - could drive a bit further up before opening the back angle
    • I notice a slight "hitch" in my hips from left to right at the bounce out of the bottom. I don't feel this when I'm performing the move, but I can see it in the video. Any thoughts on this - what might be causing it and how to correct?

Appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks,
    Ben Shugart

You are correct about opening your back angle prematurely on the way up. Drive your hips up, not your chest! I'd also like you to set it earlier on the way down. Get your chest down, your hips back, and your knees forward all at the same time. You are almost there.

The twitch to the right is small. I see a little bit of moving left on the way down, and then moving right out of the bottom. It's small--I would tell myself not to do it. Looking a bit closer, it looks like your left knee is actually outside of the line of your toes on the way down. The shift might be it coming back in to the proper position. Try relaxing the knees out on the left knee, and shove your right knee out a little bit harder. See if it helps. These are _small_ adjustments.

Thank you, Karl. I'll continue working on the back angle suggestions and the adjustments to correct for the left/right shift. Really appreciate your feedback.