starting strength gym

Thread: Squatting with cervical disc herniation

Default Squatting with cervical disc herniation

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hello, I was diagnosed with a herniated disc (c6-c7 I THINK, maybe c5-c6, can't remember) about 2 and a half years ago. I'm relatively pain free now, but I've been avoiding lifting until recently.

I'm wondering if there is a preferred method of squatting to minimize exacerbating my injury.. high bar, front, low bar, not at all, etc. I use my body for my living and no amount of strength is worth crippling my career so I want to play it safe.. that said, I love lifting and would like to incorporate it back into my life as safely as possible.

What do you think is the wise move moving forward?

I am not a doctor, nor am I you. So keep that in mind with anything I say.

In a low bar back squat, the cervical vertebrae are not underneath the load of the barbell. For most people, the bar probably passes over T2 or T3. However, the neck is certainly involved in squatting. I would suggest keeping a neutral cervical spine by looking down while squatting. You will be able to tell me how all of this feels better than I can predict for you. In general, however, people don't herniate cervical discs from squatting, although I could see looking up being problematic. I would also be sure that you do not drive your head into the bench on bench presses.

My advice? Be careful, but try it. I bet you will be okay.

Thanks for your reply. I have been squatting for the past month or so, and it feels totally fine.. Just obviously a little cautious (and for good reason). I have typically only done high bar squats but I'll give low bar a shot since it seems like it may be slightly less problematic.

Can you go into more detail regarding not driving my head on bench press?

Tom is corrective with his advice. I had a cervical disc replaced last April. The surgeon told me the exact thing. I stared squatting 135 pounds about 10 data after surgery and never had a problem.

Chinups are problematic for me.

Quote Originally Posted by bucketheader View Post
    Can you go into more detail regarding not driving my head on bench press?
    Do not push your head back into the pad when bench presses get heavy. It would probably help you move the weight, but it might bother your neck.

Ok, but I should still retract my shoulder blades and touch the bench at two points? Or should I revert to a normal flat backed position?

I would bench normally, with scapular retraction and an arch, unless it bothers you to do so.

starting strength coach development program
    I had cervical disc herniation back in 1994. I've never had a problem squatting either high bar or low bar. Nor have I had a problem bench pressing.