starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift bar(s)?

Default Deadlift bar(s)?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Anybody used one? Looking @ Texas DL Bar, possibly a Okie Bar.

I've heard Okie bars are great, but people have had issues with customer service, damage, long delivery time, etc.

I purchased a Texas Deadlift bar from LiftingLarge.com. I haven't had a chance to use an Okie deadlift bar more than one time, but they are a bit whippier than even the Texas Deadlift bar. The customer service is poor and it WILL take a long time to get your bar. But the bar does give a bit more carryover.

I did a video on the Texas DL bar here:

Depending on your style of pulling, you'll probably get 25-50lbs out of it. In my opinion, there is no real reason to get one unless you're planning on competing in a powerlifting federation which allows them. The whole point of the bar is to make things easier and that makes it less efficient for actually getting strong.

But they're a fun toy. No doubt.

Yeah, saw that vid last week. Good one.

I don't intend to compete, I just lift because it's highly relevant to my job.

Mostly looking into one because I've been struggling with my DL, and am wondering if it's because I have short arms (the bar locks out above my junk @ 5'9") and whether the bend will help with my initial pull off the floor (that is where I struggle the most).

I'm on the verge of 1RMing my squat @ 500, yet my DL is lagging behind, big time (I'd say on the best day I could Dl 435-445).

Well, you'll pull more with the deadlift bar, but it won't fix your disparity. Usually, it will just make it worse if you have to go elsewhere to pull on a stiffer bar. My squat is/was also relatively stronger than my deadlift so I'm speaking directly from experience on that one.

If your arms are really that short, your deadlift is always going to be a struggle. Conventional pulls in particular.

I pull less with the dl bar. I pretend it has to do with compromised fast twitch activation...but I'm probably just a spaz.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Narvaez View Post
    Well, you'll pull more with the deadlift bar, but it won't fix your disparity. Usually, it will just make it worse if you have to go elsewhere to pull on a stiffer bar. My squat is/was also relatively stronger than my deadlift so I'm speaking directly from experience on that one.
    Good points. I train at home, so the crossover problem isn't too much of an issue. It would be nice to pull more weight though! I think tinkering with my setup will help, as will continuing to get stronger in the squat. It's a little frustrating, my 1RM hasn't improved much at all in the last 8 months.

I have JF doing my programming, so I'm sure we'll get things dialed in over the long term. He said I needed more volume and practice.

If your arms are really that short, your deadlift is always going to be a struggle. Conventional pulls in particular.
    Yeah. I think Sumo may be an option down the road.
    Last edited by Travis Rask; 02-17-2014 at 01:03 AM.

Keep in mind that you pull more specifically because it reduces the range of motion and makes the bar easier to grip. You're not necessarily getting any stronger.

Pulling less with the deadlift bar is almost certainly a technique issue. You have to pull the slack out of it or you do lose force transfer off the ground. People who kind of just yank the bar don't always get that much from it. But it is also theoretically possible to have a weak point in your range of motion 1-2" off the ground. If this is the case, a DL bar might force you to start at a worse mechanical position for your particular anthropometry/individual hip/back/leg strength.

starting strength coach development program
    Keep in mind that you pull more specifically because it reduces the range of motion and makes the bar easier to grip. You're not necessarily getting any stronger.
    Good point.