starting strength gym

Thread: Grip width on the bench press

Default Grip width on the bench press

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    • starting strength seminar april 2025
    Hello again,

Quick question I should have asked earlier. I have the shortened clavicle resulting in the reduced ROM, this also equates to around a half an inch difference in shoulder width. I have been doing the bench press with that difference in the grip, the left around a half an inch narrower. It occurs to me I should have asked if this is wise or if I should even the grip?

Thank you

The long side will be heavier than the short side. Is this what you really want?

Not particularly. But my physiology is messed up and i'm not sure how to work with it yet. I find using an equal grip, moving the left hand out, i tend to relocate the bar so when in extension the center is moved to the right. Is this something i'll have to use mind control on? Grip even and concentrate on keeping the center actually in the center.

Unless you have muscular dystrophy or some other systemic disease or syndrome, your "physiology" is not messed up. I cannot evaluate everything on the web, and this is one of those things I cannot evaluate on the web.

Incorrect word usage. Sorry english is not my first language.
    Thanks for your help.