starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do I have low "work capacity"?

Default Do I have low "work capacity"?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I'm curious about this because the other day I was able to squat 319lb. X 1 which was a PR and is probably close to my max. However, with regard to multiple reps, even completing 250 x 5 is not "easy". That 5th rep feels quite hard.

Would conditioning work help with this? Or doing some training at lower weights and higher reps?

Doing fives is hard. That should indicate something.

Or perhaps you are neurologically efficient at producing strength, i.e. you can XRM a very low percentage of your 1RM. On the other hand, women, in general, can do lots of reps with a weight very close to their 1RM, but the curve falls suddenly.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke S View Post
    Or perhaps you are neurologically efficient at producing strength, i.e. you can XRM a very low percentage of your 1RM. On the other hand, women, in general, can do lots of reps with a weight very close to their 1RM, but the curve falls suddenly.
    I suck at heavy singles. Which is awful, because I want to compete in Powerlifting. I can 5-rep or maybe even 6-rep 350 but recently failed to get a single at 390. Pretty sure I'm not a woman, but my SVJ is pathetic and so are my power cleans. So OP is just the opposite. He's an exploder while I'm a grinder.

Quote Originally Posted by Mahogany View Post
    I suck at heavy singles. Which is awful, because I want to compete in Powerlifting. I can 5-rep or maybe even 6-rep 350 but recently failed to get a single at 390. Pretty sure I'm not a woman, but my SVJ is pathetic and so are my power cleans. So OP is just the opposite. He's an exploder while I'm a grinder.
    LOL, but I say you just go ahead and compete, Mahogany. Maybe you'll surprise yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by scteacher View Post
    LOL, but I say you just go ahead and compete, Mahogany. Maybe you'll surprise yourself.
    Oh, yeah, I'm gonna compete, I meant I want to compete. May 17th will be my first one. I already dropped my 15 lb powerbelly for it, and I'm taking 405 for my third regardless, (unless I fail one of the first 2 attempts), which would be a "world record" if this particular fed's website is accurate and up to date. But 405 should be an easy single for someone who can do 340 x 7 and 350 x 5, and it won't be. Now if I can convince them to let me in the women's division...

Ah, got it. Well, if you're going to attempt a record, I think you're competing.

Will you reveal the fed and class? As long as it's not my class or either the one right above AND below me, I'm totally ok with you entering the women's division. ;-)

Ah, got it. Well, if you're going to attempt a record, I think you're competing.

Will you reveal the fed and class? As long as it's not my class or either the one right above AND below me, I'm totally ok with you entering the women's division. ;-)
    RPS (Rychlak/Revolution) Amateur, Open, 148-lbs, Raw Classic Division.

(although the record for raw modern is actually lower, I could enter that and just not wear the knee wraps and set a record for sure)

Quote Originally Posted by Mahogany View Post
    RPS (Rychlak/Revolution) Amateur, Open, 148-lbs, Raw Classic Division.

(although the record for raw modern is actually lower, I could enter that and just not wear the knee wraps and set a record for sure)
    Cool! Although, yeah, you have to stay in the men's division as that's my wt class. I'm not ready to call for 405 quite yet though...

starting strength coach development program
    Cool! Although, yeah, you have to stay in the men's division as that's my wt class. I'm not ready to call for 405 quite yet though...
    Yeah, I'm planning not to fail any more squat reps between now and then. I think I max out at 375 or 385, hopefully for multiple reps. But what's the point of showing up if I don't plan to go all out and try for a serious PR/"WR"? I have the deadlift record and total record in my sights too. Would make for a great first meet if I get them all!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast