starting strength gym
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ultra marathoner with 700lb squat

Default ultra marathoner with 700lb squat

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Dose this guy blow a few strength myths out the water ??...old rip would pish his frillies if he saw this..lol..

http://jtsstrength.com/articles/2014...ns-alex-viada/.
    Last edited by andy68; 04-16-2014 at 05:13 AM.

Good quote:

When I work with a new athlete, I always first look at WHAT they want to be when all is said and done- i.e. what they look like as an athlete. Any training cycle, any training week, any workout, any exercise, any repetition or interval that doesn’t help them go from where they are to what they want to be is a waste of time.

have you showed this to Rip?

Once again, someone with freaky genetics thinking his training system is the holy grail.

I have looked at Alex Viada a bit because I have ventured trying something similar in the past. His advice is still valid if you want to be a "hybrid" athlete, but obviously you won't be the best at either and your success with it may vary depending on other factors (recovery, genetics, etc). The bulk of his advice actually applies fairly simply to everything : don't fuck around with shit that is useless for what you want to do.

There is no proof of Viada's 4:15 mile claim, but even giving him the benefit of the doubt, Alex Viada apparently didn't hit the 4:15 mile at the same time as his biggest lifts... that was a few years earlier when he was lighter. Someone poked around a bit and shared on facebook that his best current run time is a 26 minute 5k, which is impressive for a 700lb squatter but nowhere near a sub-5 mile, much less 4:15. He is still very impressive athlete that opposes the traditional views, but it is inaccurate to say he ran 4:15 at the same time he was his strongest at the same time he ran 50+ miles.
    Last edited by Levon_Xidyn; 04-15-2014 at 06:24 PM.

So what? A unique specimen among millions/billions doesn't prove that this can be attained by anyone but him. Also, as alluded to above, I'd love to see proof of squatting +700lb then running a 4:15 mile. Want to bet that 60 person roster of his all have mediocre results in both lifting weights and running?

I like how at the bottom it says this, "He squats and deadlifts 700+, runs a 4:15 mile, and occasionally manages to stay injury free for an entire season."

Quote Originally Posted by hsilman View Post
    I'm sure this guy is magical and all that, but if Andy Malanichev can run 6km+ once a week I think you guys are capable of lifting and jogging at the same time without ruining your gainzzz.

I mean, if you want to.
    He does ? Why?

I have no qualms with running and lifting without hurting "teh gainzZz" but 6km doesnt compare to 50-100 miles or 4:15 mile.

That also doesn't take into account the "s" word.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Immortal_k View Post
    That also doesn't take into account the "s" word.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast