starting strength gym

Thread: Week to recover from Squats

Default Week to recover from Squats

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hi Andy

Lately I've been struggling to recover from my squats volume day in time for my squats intensity day and with my current situation I can either do it with two days gap (I.e thursday volume, sunday intensity) or wait a week. My hamstrings are so poked that even 4 days after I'm still feeling it going up the stairs in my house, but after seven days my legs are raring to go again and intensity day goes pretty well.

Right now I'm:

35 YO
    Weight: 235lbs
    Squat (Intensity): 401.5lbs
    Squat (volume): 6 x 5 @ 308lbs OR 5 x 5 @ 335.5lbs OR 5 x 3 @ 357.5lbs (alternating)

And nominally doing a four day texas method which has been serving me pretty well lately except for this issue with the squats. I had a cold that just wouldn't go away and I thought that was the problem, but i'm better now and it hasn't gotten better:

Should I look to switch to an HLM style workout maybe? As perhaps I'm just getting old and getting crap at recovery? Or do I need some conditioning to assist?

And its always my hammys sore, quads normally aren't sore at all and my butt only sometimes. Is that suggesting not enough depth?

Thanks,

John

If you are dying on TM then a H-L or HLM program might work better for you. You might also just stay with what you are doing and bring your volume down just a bit. Keep cycling but maybe 5x5 , 5x4, 5x3.