starting strength gym

Thread: Shoulder Press - Pinch shoulder blades?

Default Shoulder Press - Pinch shoulder blades?

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hiya,

I've been stuck on the shoulder press for the longest time - feels like my triceps are tiring first.

Anyway, technique wise, are you supposed to pinch your shoulder blades while pressing? From the book, the starting position for the bar is on the anterior deltoid - to do this, i have been puffing my chest out, and forcing my deltoids forward - means my shoulder blades are seemingly pulled/stretched apart. Is this correct?

Also, in this position, there is a tendency to arc backwards. I mean, i find it hard to keep the chest up and not arc backwards...

Would appreciate any feedback if my understanding of the press is wrong..

Thanks!

This is probably not the answer you are looking for, but it is 3am here: I suggest you buy Coach Rippetoe's DVD. It helped me plenty with the Press and Power Cleans, even after reading the book.

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty View Post
    Hiya,

I've been stuck on the shoulder press for the longest time - feels like my triceps are tiring first.

Also, in this position, there is a tendency to arc backwards. I mean, i find it hard to keep the chest up and not arc backwards...

Would appreciate any feedback if my understanding of the press is wrong..

Thanks!
    I don't know about the shoulder blades part, but your grip should be just outside shoulder width, elbows INFRONT of the bar (still straight wrist), think big chest and a little back arc is fine as long as you're squeezing your abs to counterbalance it, another part of getting under the bar once it passes your head by moving your body around the bar, not the bar around the body (I don't if I worded that right maybe someone could help)

Nothing you said seems really out of the ordinary and Matt hit some salient points, try recording yourself. It's a great was to see if there is something weird you're doing that you're not aware of.

I've heard here that I have fairly decent press form, so hopefully my video will help a bit. I must echo matt's post, and suggest a little bit of an arched upper back (think of puffing up your chest to meet your chin, while looking straight ahead). Squeeze abs, glutes and quads as hard as you can so you have a firm base, and think of getting under the bar as soon as it clears your head.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIRUKXfFhWk

Here's a view from the front, disregard the shitty PC - it's been fixed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vF6RmH9AjKk
    Last edited by Shion; 08-25-2011 at 11:59 AM.