starting strength gym

Thread: Power Clean Form Check

Default Power Clean Form Check

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Iv'e had a few weeks to work on my PC form and decided to seek some feedback on my progress. Thanks for all your responses so far. With all the bafoonery on this board, it's nice to see people still willing to help out. I have reluctantly linked to the previous thread which demonstrates some embarrassing technique.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQxZpJpBsvo

http://startingstrength.com/resource...ad.php?t=25276

So just by looking at these videos I first should ask what weight you're pulling right now? It seems if you're concerned about form you could be working at a lower weight, given your starting position is not inhibited by lack of bumper plates and proper bar positioning.

With the powerclean, something I've focused on lately is "hearing my feet." That is, when I focus on making the "stomp" as loud as possible, its helped me focus on making the jump the true core of the movement. Here, I notice that your jump is still not the core of the movement, and your second pull(when you go into the rack position) doesn't seem to flow with your first pull. Try to make the transition smoother and you can do that by focusing more on the jump.

Is there a reason you're not utilizing high socks or pants for this lift? You should be dragging the bar up your shins to your thighs prior to the jump and having some cloth between your skin and the bar makes it a bit easier to pull properly. Its hard to tell with this angle, but thats definitely something that could help with the whole of the powerclean movement.

Finally, why are you doing a set of 5 vs a set of 3? If this is part of your programming I stand corrected, but per SS and what programming books I've read powercleans are best divided into sets of 3 reps.

Hope this helps.

It looks much improved from the video in the original thread, and it looks pretty good to me (not an expert). As with all things, more reps with good form will make things better.

Are you training for a sport, or for Oly lifting? How close to "perfect" do you want your form to become? Just curious.

And I'm guessing that you have a home setup now, too.

These are OK, but:

1) I think you're setting up a little too far from the bar. See the set-up guide here: http://startingstrength.com/resource...468#post182468
    2) You are pulling a little bit with your arms.
    3) Jump harder and finish your jump - just like you were trying to slam your head into the ceiling. This will eliminate the split catch you've got going on, and let you get the stomp that mc^2 is talking about without the risk of inducing a donkey kick.

Let go of the bar sooner. By the time the bar gets to shoulder height, you should already have only your fingertips left on the bar, so that you can catch the bar on your shoulders rather than in your hands. Two things will help with this - deliberately dropping down as the bar is reaching your shoulders, and rotating your elbows up faster. Do your best to keep your pinky fingers on the bar too, this will save you some lifts down the line as the weight gets heavier.

You're developing a lateral split. Your feet should not really move out much, just a little bit off the ground and then right back in your footsteps. If the weight is getting more difficult, drop lower instead of spreading your feet out farther.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks for the feedback everyone. I feel like I am getting closer to a decent PC and this was the feedback I needed. LOL at the Pyrros video, I doubt mine will ever be this good.