starting strength gym

Thread: Need a second opinion

Default Need a second opinion

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hope this works this time.

So on monday I was doing my squats which kinda led to a hardening of my muscles in my hip and lower back area. It started when I was warming up with the empty bar and I kinda ignored it and kept going. Well, in the evening it felt so stiff in my hip area and lower back area, mostly near my lower spine. I couldn't really stand up straight after sitting for a longer time. It hurt a little bit and the pain sometimes radiated down into my butt and the backside of my left leg.

After waking up in the morning it was better but sitting made it worse.
    Someone in the forum said it sounds like my Iliopsoas freaked out and a trigger point massage might help but well, I can't do it myself somehow.

So today I went to a Physiotherapist who started to do all kinds of touching and stretching and wanted me to show him a squat.

I showed him the squat and he told me that I overextend my upper body. I probably squat too deep which makes my lower back round.

He then came to the following conclusion after touching and stretching around with my body:

My Ishiocurale muscles are "shortened" and that I have to sretch them.
    My Iliopsoas needs stretching.
    My Piriformis also freaked out.

Now I'd like to know if those muscles freaking out can actually lead to such problems. I mean I started with the empty bar and kept going up until I had my Squat Weight of 57,5kg which isn't that much and I already fucked that up.

Yes, if you squat wrong it fucks things up. If you squat correctly, those same fucked-up things will unfuck themselves.

Gentle readers, nota bene: Rip just agreed, albeit not in so many words, with the diagnosis of a physician (well, a PT). Take heed, you might not see this again.

Well, I'd hate it like hell if anybody thought that. There are a few good ones though; all of them train like we do.