starting strength gym

Thread: Starting on Whey / Creatine / High protein diet after 40. Cancer risk?

Default Starting on Whey / Creatine / High protein diet after 40. Cancer risk?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I am in in the process of doing my own research but thought I'd also ask here.

I'm going back to strength training again and because of slow progress in the past, mediocre muscle gain, inadequate recovery, frequent injuries, and aging, this time I decided to up my protein intake to the recommended strength training level of at least 1 g per pound and start taking the supplement Creatine.

I just hit 40 last year, so I am concerned though if these sudden dietary changes would have negative consequences, I'm especially afraid of increasing cancer risk. I ran into some studies that link high-protein intake and middle-aged men to cancer. I mean on the surface it kind of makes sense that boosting your muscle cell growth mechanisms could also boost cancerous cell growth.

For example this study http://www.cell.com/cell-metabolism/...14)00062-X.pdf (I am aware of the individual criticism for the study but I haven't looked further at how many other corroborating studies).

I know that the consensus on the forum is that high protein is safe but if you're starting at 40 with little athletic background, would your body not know how to handle the extra growth boost?

This particular study is not sophisticated enough to suggest that protein intake in and of itself increases cancer risk (or mortality). Processed meats do appear to negatively impact health outcomes and some risks, but there are many more important things from a health perspective I'd tackle first before protein intake, if at all. Creatine has no cancer risk. Finally, extra protein does not cause extra growth. An aberrant signal from a tumor allows for extra growth and uses whatever it can to proliferate.