starting strength gym

Thread: Power Snatches as Substitute for Power Cleans?

Default Power Snatches as Substitute for Power Cleans?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Another power clean question. You're welcome. I broke my left wrist (scaphoid) around 6 years ago. Never had much luck regaining lost wrist mobility with specific exercises and stretching. These days it extends probably 25 degrees less than my right wrist. Flexion is fine.

As my power cleans get heavier I realize that my rack position isn't as good as I thought. Fine on the right side, but my left wrist doesn't extend enough to guide the bar to the front deltoid, so I end up squeezing the bar at the top with the left elbow pointing down and my left wrist cranked back. Didn't hurt at 135 lbs., but now that I'm nearing 200 lbs. the soft tissue in my left hand is in a bad way. Do power snatches require less wrist extension? If so, would they make a decent sub while I look yet again into regaining wrist flexibility?

While I'm here, any advice on fixing my wrist? Feels like the thing is wrapped with duct tape. Wrist doesn't hurt, just the hand that's catching the weight.

Yes, PSs may be easier on the wrist if you know how to catch the bar correctly at the top. That would be a legit cause for using them in place of the clean. But for our purposes they are less effective because you cannot use as much weight due to the longer pull.

I've got a bum wrist from a scaphoid fracture also, so I understand where you are coming from. Mine sounds similar to yours; stiff, relatively pain free, unimpeded flexion but limited extension. I greatly prefer the power snatch. I find that the lighter weight and the wrist position are much more forgiving. Holding a weight overhead for a set of OHS becomes uncomfortable, but I suspect I may just be a pussy.

When I snatch my wrists are about inline with my forearm, with a small amount of extension. Its about the same as they are when I press, just rotated more to account for the greater width of the grip (I struggle with that inward rotation too, but its doable). I'm not sure if this is the correct position for receiving the snatch, but its the only way I'm able to do it, and I think you'll find it works for you too. That is a good question though, is the snatch is supposed to be received with wrists extended? Any thoughts anyone?

Most people receive it with extended wrists until they hurt their wrists, and then they start catching it more in line with their forearms. The fix for this would be to stop releasing your hook when you rack the snatch, and it will stay in a better place.

Rip and Milo, thanks.

Milo, have you ever had any luck regaining the lost range of motion? If so, how?

Bronan,

No such luck. I broke my scaphoid about 3-4 years ago and I've not really made any progress after the initial few months. I'm not sure why this is.

I've found I can just about rack a barbell properly if I use a slightly wider grip and let the bar roll back onto the very tips of my fingers. I can only accomplish this if I walk the bar out, I'm not able to do this receiving the bar from a clean. I think my next scheme is just to practice maintaining and improving this position. I'm very doubtful I'll meet with any success. Good luck, and let me know if you find anything to be helpful.

Dan

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks. Good luck, and I'll let you know in the case of an unexpected breakthrough.