starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Training in the heat & General weakness?

Default Training in the heat & General weakness?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hullo!

It has recently got hot here, and the gym has no big windows or fans, and is very small - in short it is very hot and far from perfect to train in.

It could be a coincidence, but this coincided with me suddenly becoming weaker in a lot of my lifts, losing 5-10kg on them all.

Not only that, but a lot of them are stalling too.

I hit the gym, and i am good for a few sets, and then i weaken. My diet hasn't really changed.
    My mood has been a bit off too - this is normal for me, i always get a bit low during the summer. Also, not as driven either.

It sounds like over training, but could the heat do this?
    I suspect it could be a diet thing?
    Maybe some kind of mineral or salt deficiency?

any ideas?

many thanks,
    R P McMurphy

You do know I live in North Texas, right? If you're not eating as much because of the heat, it might very well be a diet thing. But a hot gym is where most of us have trained before. Learn to deal with it: more water, more minerals, bigger balls.

Not sure if I am supposed to give any advice on Ripp's thread here but here goes.

It could reach 140 where I was deployed and eating could be a bitch. Fatigued and energyless we had to still force it upon ourselves.

Tips to eat more in the heat:
    1.In the early morning and late night, eat so much it stretches your stomach, get accustomed to eating a lot so that even when it is hot your stomach feels empty and grumbles for more food.
    2. If you are a drinking man, alcohol can make me really hungry and I can down some greasy food. This compliments the nights of tip 1 quite well and I often wake up feeling hungry as well.
    3. I keep an endless supply of protein shakes and bars from costo in my house and car, if I ever feel even the least bit hungry down it goes.

This advice is only if you feel you are not eating enough or are really skinny in general. These are alcohols that I find mix quite well with milk.

1. Jagermeister
    2. Peppermint Schnapps
    3. khalua or any coffee type liquor or Irish creams if that is your style

Quote Originally Posted by Randle McMurphy View Post
    My mood has been a bit off too - this is normal for me, i always get a bit low during the summer. Also, not as driven either.

Hi Randle,

Unless you're hypertensive, you might want to try more salt in your diet, and a large coffee before training in addition to Rip's advice. Also, make sure you're not slacking on the Valsalva maneuver.

A hot environment lowers your blood pressure. It's not just the fluid loss from sweating, but also the fact that your body is dilating all your surface blood vessels to get rid of heat. A dip in BP will lower your strength, general energy levels, and "drive".

I had very low blood pressure for many years, and, during the summers, I dealt with an extreme version of what you're experiencing (to the extent that I would pass out in certain conditions during hot weather). I still get really sluggish and unmotivated during the first couple of heat waves and take salt tabs when the weather starts getting really hot. In a few weeks, I've usually adjusted and can stop the extra salt.

Default Likewise...

Quote Originally Posted by Randle McMurphy View Post
    Hullo!

It has recently got hot here, and the gym has no big windows or fans, and is very small - in short it is very hot and far from perfect to train in.

It could be a coincidence, but this coincided with me suddenly becoming weaker in a lot of my lifts, losing 5-10kg on them all.

Not only that, but a lot of them are stalling too.

I hit the gym, and i am good for a few sets, and then i weaken. My diet hasn't really changed.

I suspect it could be a diet thing?
    Maybe some kind of mineral or salt deficiency?

any ideas?

many thanks,
    R P McMurphy
    I have to have open air, as much as possible. I open the drapes, doors, and turn on the fans. I get in a better mood with natural light comming in - which is easy to find in Hawaii.

Your not alone in complaining of the summer heat. It's not so much in the gym, but rather out of the gym, that's the bother.

I have to get up a couple hours earlier because of the scorching sun beaming down, and deal with loss of appetite, getting a little stir crazy at all the girls in their summer clothes, the beckoning beach and a host of other heat related distractions.

You're not alone brother, you're not alone...

My guess would be a general dehydration issue. If you haven't changed your diet, up to and including what you drink, and it's gotten considerably hotter, water consumption is probably your issue

Try some 50/50 water to generic sports drink mixture before and during the workout.

Also, stop being a vagina.

-Hat

Eat more and drink a lot more water. I used to train in my garage in south Georgia. You have to hydrate before, during, and after training. Deal with it. And yes, bigger balls are required.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    You do know I live in North Texas, right? If you're not eating as much because of the heat, it might very well be a diet thing. But a hot gym is where most of us have trained before. Learn to deal with it: more water, more minerals, bigger balls.
    The larger the surface area, the better distribution of heat =)

In the UK here.

Train outdoors so my training is done a lot around the weather.

Reminder: http://www.startingstrength.com/reso...ad.php?t=16078

A month or so prior I was training with multiple layers, underarmour coldgear base layers and tshirts and jogging bottoms and hoodies on top.

Now I train with thsirt and shorts because it's become ridiculously hot in the UK.

Here's my take on this.

A sudden change in weather fucks with your training as your appetitie, hydration and overall calorie intake is affected initially, however over the course of 1-2 weeks you get used to the weather change and then go back to your usual eating and training routine.

If the heat is affecting your lifts, (probably more of a mental thing than physical), maybe you can experiment with underarmour heatgear.. I heard it's amazing at keeping you cool.

But with proper discipline and dedication to lifting, the weather changes shouldn't affect your training at all.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Liao View Post
    ...which is easy to find in Hawaii.

Your not alone in complaining of the summer heat. It's not so much in the gym, but rather out of the gym, that's the bother.

I have to get up a couple hours earlier because of the scorching sun beaming down...
    Scorching sun in Hawaii? You must never get off-island.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast