starting strength gym

Thread: a question about the rehab protocol

Default a question about the rehab protocol

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I've recently been experiencing some low back pain from squatting, more on the right side. it went like this:

260lbs - first injury- 4 days off, no lifting at all. returned with a 20 lb de-load. 240lbs felt fine-10lb jump, 250lb felt fine-10lb jump, back to 260lb- completed reps but felt terrible, so did not increase and stayed with 260lb next workout. 260lb second attempt- low back pain same spot 3rd rep , 3rd set,finished push pulling exercises. took another 5 days off to return with a 15lb de-load. 245lbs- low back pain same spot, 1st set 3rd rep, did not finish push pulling exercises.

in rips podcast 8 he talks about the 2 types of back injuries , disc injuries, and facet joint injuries. none of the symptoms i have give me any indication they're disc injuries.
    but, in the SS wiki thread about bill starrs rehab protocol, rip says the protocol is for muscle belly injuries? should i do the rehab protocol as rip explains it , which would be high rep squats, or is there something im missing?

The protocol is different.

With the back stuff, pain must be your guide. Movement can have not flexion of the spine or that's where you get in trouble.

When I have experienced these problems in the past, I have very gingerly attacked them. I get back into the gym as fast as possible and MOVE. Squat the bar for sets of 10-20. If that's bad pain, try deadlifting 95 for sets of 5, 3-5 sets…add weight as you can tolerate it. In my particular instance, deadlifting was more relief and less stressful than squatting. Squatting has a tiny bit of flexion at the bottom which can be painful and problematic.

Hope this helps.