starting strength gym

Thread: Valgus (Knock-Knees)

Default Valgus (Knock-Knees)

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Coach

What experience do you have with valgus making a proper squat stance hard to find and what typically fixes it? Would you say just widen the stance slightly and point the feet out a little more? Maybe tight hamstrings? The heavier the weights get the more I want to widen my stance (typical) but I know there's such thing as too wide. Thanks for your time. Zac

Do you mean that you think you're knock-kneed because your hamstrings are tight?

I'm pigeon toed on my left side, I also have considerably less external rotation capabilities on that side. Ironically enough, I feel much better forcing myself into the recommended 30ish degrees than taking a more narrow, feet forward stance.

Clear. I follow what you're saying, thanks.

Do you actually have a diagnosed valgus? This would mean that your tibia articulates with the femur so that is angled laterally from your mid-line. Varus is the opposite in which the tibia angles in towards the mid-line.

Quote Originally Posted by ZKP View Post
    but I know there's such thing as too wide.
    Louis Simmons would disagree

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by JLascek View Post
    Do you actually have a diagnosed valgus? This would mean that your tibia articulates with the femur so that is angled laterally from your mid-line. Varus is the opposite in which the tibia angles in towards the mid-line.
    Perhapse my definitions are skewed, but the case is my knees lock "in" noticeably when I stand with my legs locked or straight at full extension, and my feet want to "duck" out. I've been stretching my ham's for years and was under the impression that's all I could do. Just looking for input on how you guys deal with this on the people you train.

As far as louie Simmons wide stance goes, I've squatted too wide before and it just beat the fuck out of my hips. I don't use a suit so I'm lacking that extra layer of connective tissue that might come in handy.....Not that it's no good, just curious on what might fix issues with the more narrow stance rather than just switch entirely.....thanks