starting strength gym

Thread: Back-Centric Starting Strength Programming

Default Back-Centric Starting Strength Programming

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hey Rip,

I am interested in focusing on my back and shoulder girdle while doing Starting Strength and eventually Texas Method. This is both sports-related (explained below) and as an assistance-to-Deadlift. Basically I have a three-part question:

First, what would be the best assistance exercises for emphasizing the Traps in such a program? Specifically, I have a recurring injury in my trapezius muscles and right shoulder socket. This mainly effects my right trapezius from my upper back through to my neck, which seems to have come from being thrown in Judo (mainly Ippon Seoi Nage, see picture below*) and oddly enough pulling my right-side neck muscles and hurting my right shoulder socket doing Dips of all things. I am also beginning Boxing and feel it in my back in a straight line from where my arms (especially my right arm) connects at the shoulder through to the spine (just the muscles not the spine itself). I am wondering how to strengthen this area specifically to avoid future injuries from Judo and lifting weights in general since it seems to be a problem area.

Ippon Seoi Nage

Second, my lower back seems to be the weak spot in my Deadlift, so any lower back assistance exercises I should focus on would be welcome. I am guessing Good Mornings (and yes, I do Power Cleans too) but figured I would ask since it fits into my back-centric programming question in case you had any other suggestions, either in exercises or in which day(s) to add certain exercises.

Finally, I am doing rehab exercises for the Traps & shoulders, mainly Face Pulls and Scapular Retractions and the like. In the Bill Starr injury sticky, you say "During this time do NO OTHER HEAVY WORK, so that your resources can focus on the injury." What should I be cutting out of SS at this time with this kind of injury?

-Cheers

What have been your numbers in the novice progression?

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    What have been your numbers in the novice progression?
    My max numbers per working sets or 3X5 (5X3 for PC's) have been:

Squat: 265
    Deadlift: 335
    Press: 135
    Power Cleans: 140
    Dips*: BW + 45

These are currently stalled/in-maintenance because I'm trying to cut weight ala Lyle McDonald for weight class reasons (not for a cover shot on Men's Fitness or anything, just because 200+ lb. Judoka tend to be a greater percentage muscle and stronger and possess greater speed than me to a scary extent), then begin progressing again once I have achieved that goal. Basically I want to get as strong for my bodyweight within whatever weight class I fall. Let me know if you need my starting numbers.

My stats are:

Height: 5'9"
    Weight: Went from ~195 to 215, currently down to ~190 but maintaining my lifts at almost the same weights.

*I do Dips instead of Benching at this point for greater CNS stimulation, just because when I'm grappling, throwing, and whatnot I'm hoping it will help with the back/ab strength. Also, until recently, I didn't have a power rack so it seemed a bit safer.

-Cheers

It doesn't seem to me that your deadlift is strong enough at that bodyweight that a bunch of assistance stuff would be more useful than working on the basic movement. Assuming your form is correct, your deadlift numbers should be up around 2x bodyweight before weirdness is necessary.

Thanks Rip. Any input for the recurring Trap/neck issues, or should I just rehab, get my Deadlift to the 400-500 lb. range once I'm healed, and let things take care of themselves once I am stronger overall?

-Cheers

I think those injuries are quite likely a normal consequence of getting thrown all over the room for several hours a week, don't you?

Question weirdness?

When you say weirdness, do you mean anything other than a full motion deadlift till the lift is at around 2x bodyweight (e.g in general racks/haltings not necessary till deadlift is 2x bodyweight)? I presume you don't, but just wanted to be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I think those injuries are quite likely a normal consequence of getting thrown all over the room for several hours a week, don't you?
    Touch?! That doesn't mean I can't at least try to strengthen the problem areas in the most efficient way to help prevent them. That was my rationale at least. I was merely hoping that overall increases in strength (and flexibility, and just overall sport-specific practice) might help with the problem. If not, I can just deal with the injuries as they happen.

But yes, I would have to agree with the cause-and-effect logic you're throwing out there.

-Cheers

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by vxmorpheusxv View Post
    When you say weirdness, do you mean anything other than a full motion deadlift till the lift is at around 2x bodyweight (e.g in general racks/haltings not necessary till deadlift is 2x bodyweight)? I presume you don't, but just wanted to be sure.
    Yeah, just deadlift till more complicated shit is necessary.