starting strength gym

Thread: Programming

Default Programming

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hey Rip,
    I've read SS once through and am planning on going through it again. Further I will read practical programming here soon. My question regards developing strength for uses in training for the military. My main goal is to enlist in the navy after I graduate college and become a SEAL. For that reason I have pursued a rather broad range of training. So running, swimming, and calisthenics(crossfitesque) programming is what I have been doing. My main concern is that I am 5'11 160 lbs and I have never developed an amazing capacity for strength. I have talked to Pat Sherwood( former SEAL and Crossfit Trainer) and he advised me that BUD/s was a mental proving ground more than it was physical. I am confident in my physical and mental abilities to become a SEAL.

My numbers- 21 years old. 5'11'' ~160 lbs ( I eat like a moose, but rather clean, 24 blocks a day paleo/dairy)

Squat 3x5 at 220
    Bench 3x5 at 170
    Deadlift 3x5 @ 275

My main problem is that I'm a hyperactive workaholic. I enjoy working out and the gym way to much. I love the idea of getting big and strong but my overall goals make it hard for me to commit to a program that doesn't include at least swimming (especially because I see swimming as the area of biggest concern for me to develop prior to enlisting)

My main question is regarding whether or not committing to starting strength would be appropriate for me. I understand you may not have the exact knowledge of what type of programming I should pursue but any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    David Hagerty

I don't think you're ready for the program, because you're too scattered through the spectrum of activity to be able to focus to the extent necessary to make it work. When you want to grow and get stronger -- when you realize that this will benefit all your other shit -- then you'll be ready. But not now, I think.

You mainly should be worried about an interval type approach a la CrossFit Endurance so you don't run your body down with superfluous training hours. A possible training shift to produce an adaptation of increased glycogen stores might be a concern when you're about to go to BUD/S might be helpful, but not until then.

You know Rip I think that was exactly what I needed to hear to force me to get my shit in gear and focus on getting strong. Thanks for the resource and the motivation. I can't wait for Monday.