starting strength gym

Thread: dietary advice for heavier novices

Default dietary advice for heavier novices

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Coach,

A quick question about SS for guys like me who need to lose fat rather than gain weight. I was a little concerned until I read the discussion on pages 302-303 of the SS book about the different effect the program has on that body type (just goes to show what one can learn by actually reading the material). I'm still a bit unclear, however, as to your dietary advice for guys like me. Is it simply following the one gram of protein per pound of body weight per day formula while keeping the calories at the lower end of the 2500-5000 calorie range you mention?

Also, do you or anyone else out here know any SS-certified trainers in NYC or Westchester County, NY?

Thanks.

That's a correct reading of my advice. Where is Westchester County?

Great, thanks.

Westchester County is just north of New York City. I'm going to order the DVD, and if I can't find someone nearby to help me get started, I guess I'll just give it a try myself. I'm locked into my current gym membership for several more months anyway.

By the way, I think the book is great. Some of the things you write about, such as linear progression and the advantages of full squats, make so much sense once you read them that it surprises me that they're not more widely utilized. It also made me realize that I got some pretty poor coaching on squats in college, which is probably why they always made my knees hurt.

Similar boat here, and Rip's advice for me at the cert was to lift and eat a paleo diet around 3000 calories (but may need more if recovery isnt good)... As for SS coaches in the NYC area, you need to get to CF Virtuosity and work with Keith. Brooklyn is a trek from Westchester, but if you can get there, it will be well worth your time.

Just north of NYC. Some like to refer to it as upstate, but it's really not that far north... Try to stop by at one of the many Crossfits in the city. I'm sure they can help. Or come to Bravo Crossfit in Hawthorne and we can help you there.

Im on week 2 of the program and am simliar to you guys - weigh 220 at 6 feet 1 with approx 20-25% bodyfat.

So much of this program is about discovering how your own body reacts. The book and Ripp can only tell you so much. I personally plan to look at my weight and fat gain after a month and adjust from there. Not sure whether Ripp agrees with that idea though?

Cheers,

London Lion

starting strength coach development program
    You are not sure about whether I agree with the concept of "evaluation"?