starting strength gym

Thread: Getting that weird dizzy/passing out feeling when doing overhead press

Default Getting that weird dizzy/passing out feeling when doing overhead press

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I get really dizzy when I do overhead presses. I breath as Rip says - only at the top and the first rep is done with the breath I took when unracking. I'm afraid the bar will fall on my head one day.

Has anyone experienced something similar?

Yes. I also get that sometimes at the top of the deadlift and power clean. If you get dizzy at the top of the press, that's probably not good, so just lower it safely back to your shoulders. Does this happen every time you press, every rep?

It happens at the top every time when I shrug the bar as high as I can. I've had the bar come down slamming on my chest once because of this. I'd say it happens in almost every set, not rep. Perhaps I take too big breaths.

I get it occasionally too. Haven't been able to figure out any rhyme or reason to it. Just be careful and rerack-- don't try to get the rep when the dizzy feeling comes on.

Quote Originally Posted by stratoo View Post
    It happens at the top every time when I shrug the bar as high as I can. I've had the bar come down slamming on my chest once because of this. I'd say it happens in almost every set, not rep. Perhaps I take too big breaths.
    If you're inhaling with your shoulders shrugged, and you're not breathing from your gut, your lung capacity might be getting limited. Over the course of the set, especially if you're going slow, you're probably getting low on air.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeC1 View Post
    Yes. I also get that sometimes at the top of the deadlift and power clean. If you get dizzy at the top of the press, that's probably not good, so just lower it safely back to your shoulders. Does this happen every time you press, every rep?
    I'll have this happen at the top of my deadlift if I don't let a little air out. If I let a little air out then lower the bar I am fine.