starting strength gym

Thread: The Elusive "Bounce"

Default The Elusive "Bounce"

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Coach(es),

Just transitioned from LP + Advanced Novice taper @ 6'2, 233. Ran squats up to 315x3x3 before form seriously broke down (knees in particular). I just completed my first Intensity Day at 305x1x5 and figured that it'd be helpful to seek your guys' assistance in, as the header suggests, nabbing the damn "bounce." I THOUGHT that I had finally implemented the damn thing, only to be alerted by the always-helpful folk in the Technique subgroup that I was, in fact, high and bounceless. So here I am, and here's my video.

Intensity Day 305x5 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aenXP5Xhoks

I'm 115% certain that Reps #1 and #5 are abject shit - they're clearly high and devoid of anything resembling a bounce. Especially #5. But what about #s 2-4? Are they more in line with what I should be going for? Or are they still suboptimal? (likely)

Anyways, thank you for your guys' time, consideration, and coaching. I truly appreciate it.

I don't think any of them are abject shit. That being said, you do lack the bounce. The bounce comes from a decent speed on the decent to proper depth, followed by a hard drive of the hips.

Hit a little more depth, and focus solely on driving your hips straight up out of the hole.

That looks like 295, not 305. Unless the plate on the end is a 40 lb plate not a 35? Or maybe the collars are 5lb?

Mac,

Heading out for my volume day workout now and looking forward to applying your comments in the session. I'll really be working to bury these reps, with an emphasis on hip drive out of that deeper position. Thanks for your help.

Joey

Coach,

Wasn't planning to post again - know that you've got loads of these to respond to and other stuff to do i.e. LIFE - but I tried to focus on the "depth and hip drive" stuff today during my volume lift and was left with middling results and, more worryingly, some knee pain. Really tried to bury these fuckers with knees out and a strong hip response, but the film doesn't show a whole lot of difference - I might just be overly critical, though.

Anyways, my predominant concern is that the lower depth seems to be pissing off the outside of my left knee - I think that I am letting my knees slide forward in attempting to hit the lower spot, but that's just a hunch as the video doesn't strongly indicate that (at least from this angle).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBqT1eJQW98

Here's my set from today. Would really appreciate your thoughts and recommendations - I really want to get this right.

A hair too deep perhaps...but not the issue.

Your knee pain is because your knees are sliding forward throughout. You need to work hard to push those knees OUT. TUBOW for you, me thinks.

starting strength coach development program
    Got it, Mac. TUBOW for days. Thanks again.