starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Squat - why is the bar coming forwards at the bottom?

Default Squat - why is the bar coming forwards at the bottom?

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I've recently improved my squat by widening my stance to just outside of shoulder width at the heels and this has helped keep the bar more over the mid foot and I can feel the difference, but the bar is still coming further forwards more than I feel it should, probably caused by too much forward lean??

I've taken this video side on to better see the bar path and welcome critique on areas I can improve.

This video is an edited compilation of my warm up sets leading up to my current max of 160lbs which beyond that my form collapses, so still building up slowly whilst trying to nail the form.

I'm trying be best to keep my upper back tight and neutral, but feel my limited shoulder mobility is preventing my elbows coming forwards enough - whether this impacts the forward lean at the bottom I don't know.

I'm trying not to lean forwards excessively, but something is 'forcing' my current back angle at the bottom. Any clues?

Also, is my starting back angle ok, if I try to get any more vertical, the bar wants to roll down my back.

Thanks in advance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amjJHppNM7c

Your problem is at the top and not the bottom. At the bottom the bar is over the midfoot. At the top you have your back over arched and your butt sticking out, and appear to be on your heals.

Put the bar on the right spot on your back, look down, set hard (while maintaining normal anatomical position of the spine), and squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Mac Ward View Post
    Your problem is at the top and not the bottom. At the bottom the bar is over the midfoot. At the top you have your back over arched and your butt sticking out, and appear to be on your heals.

Put the bar on the right spot on your back, look down, set hard (while maintaining normal anatomical position of the spine), and squat.
    You know I never thought about the bar being too rearward at the top - it was always "why is it moving forwards?"

So - set hard, engage lats, back straight rather than arched, slight lean forwards to balance the low bar position, then hit it....

Thanks.

I'll try again.

You're exhaling on the ascent, so, in addition to what Mac said, take a big breath as you set hard, and hold it for the whole rep.
    Last edited by hollismb; 12-02-2014 at 02:21 PM. Reason: Oops.

Quote Originally Posted by hollismb View Post
    You're exhaling on the ascent, so, in addition to what Tom said, take a big breath as you set hard, and hold it for the whole rep.
    I have yet to make an appearance here.

This has helped with a similar problem I've been having.

So, thanks.

Aren't these squats quite high?

Quote Originally Posted by kessg View Post
    Aren't these squats quite high?
    Yep, among some other problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    I have yet to make an appearance here.
    Your statement proves itself false, thus verifying my assumption that you are, in fact, omnipresent, and helps to explain my incorrect attribution. Even where Tom isn't, he is, because Tom is everywhere, at all times.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    Yep, among some other problems.
    Yes, they are a little high - limited mobility and tight hams is preventing me going lower at the moment without going into significant flexion - the hamstring reflex is occurring just at or above parallel at the moment, but I'm working on it and it's improving all the time I'm pleased to say.

Tom, what other issues can you see?

Thanks.

I've read the book over and over, but getting my body to do what my brain is instructing is proving harder than I'd hoped.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast