starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need to lose weight for the Navy

Default I need to lose weight for the Navy

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I have been doing SS for a while and I haven't exhausted the gains but I got to 320x5x3 on squats and I want to stop because I need to lose weight and get in cardio shape for the navy in spring-summer time.

I was eating 4,500 cals on SS and I don't know what program I should switch to or how much I should eat to lose weight properly. What's weird is when I cut 500 cals while doing SS I gained 2 pounds. When I upped cals I maintained weight.

I am 5' 7" @ 198 and I would like some nutritional advice to lose weight and a program with cardio and pull-ups. I appreciate the help.

What do you think I'm going to tell you to do?

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    Weight Watchers????

I read this: http://barbellmedicine.com/2012/07/29/584/ and decided 5/3/1 would be good for cutting. I calculated my food intake as:

3,336K Cals
    267g Protein
    257g Carb
    69g Fat

That's a big drop off from 4,500K. Is that an alright start? Why do I have to eat so little fat btw? I tried it but yesterday I ate 152g fat because as I understand it carbs are what make you retain fat? Can I have a high fat diet? And when and how cardio can I have?

Can you all tape? That is what I end up doing. I plan to back down on the food some and try to maintain. I think I am within tape standards, but will start to worry about soon.

Kaplowitz,

Have you read Jordan's article "To Be A Beast," and have you searched around the board for articles on PFTs and/or pullups? Rip has a thread going right now in his Q&A about pullups with some really good advice there. If you read Jordan's article first, and then ask very specific questions you might get a better response. Or, if you don't want to do any reading and just want Jordan to design something for you then he has his consultation information at the beginning of this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaplowitz View Post
    That's a big drop off from 4,500K. Is that an alright start? Why do I have to eat so little fat btw? I tried it but yesterday I ate 152g fat because as I understand it carbs are what make you retain fat? Can I have a high fat diet? And when and how cardio can I have?
    I wouldn't start that low. Think 4100-4200 to start.

I prefer lower fat (even though it's not a true low fat) and higher carbs for lifters- they work better. You can do whatever you want but I don't think it's optimal.

Carbs don't make you fat, period.

Read When Should You Do Conditioning on my blog.

I'm not trying to be a douche, I've just answered this question so many times it kind of bugs me to do it again without you doing some leg work-even though I think you're a nice person

Carbs don't make you fat, period.
    This reminds me of when the wife asks her husband, "Do these pants make me look fat?" and he replies, "No, but your big ass does."

I don't know why, but it does.

I wouldn't start that low. Think 4100-4200 to start.AV
    I'll check out your articles but if I am cutting on 4000 cals then I am cutting on mcdonalds and fast food.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaplowitz View Post
    I'll check out your articles but if I am cutting on 4000 cals then I am cutting on mcdonalds and fast food.
    As you should.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast