starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Check again

Default Squat Check again

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    • starting strength seminar april 2025
    So I have been messing with my form for a month. This is the result of some minor tweaking.

YouTube

Is the back angle correct? Too much extension? Flexion?

You shift to your toes towards the bottom. Stay over the middle of your foot.

No big issues with your back.

Yep looks ok. Hip drive is a little weak out of the bottom on a couple of those early reps. But better later in the set. Just keep the idea of driving your ass up out of the hole, as though the bar is sitting on your tailbone in your mind. I find this helps me resist the urge to lift my chest out of the hole.

Knees out harder, get tighter before unracking the bar, screw your chest up into the bar before receiving it, DOMINATE the bar. A tighter back should help you stay over midfoot, as has been mentioned earlier you get into your toes. Think hard the whole time about pushing ONLY through the mid foot, everything else will fall into place.

A few things:

1) These need to be tighter and more aggressive. Investing in a belt and weightlifting shoes would be a good idea.
    2) Yes you still need a bit more hip drive. Think about driving your butt up out of the hole more exaggerated than you think you need to.
    3) Your stance looks a bit asymmetrical. I have clients who have gravitated to a more asymmetrical stance over time but best to start out having the toes pointed out the same amount.