starting strength gym

Thread: Adding in endurance stuff

Default Adding in endurance stuff

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Sorry if this has been asked before, but I couldn't find any specific advice. I've been doing SS for months, and still have a ways to go on it. But, the extra weight i've gained has definitely hurt my overall stamina. Walking briskly can tire me out pretty quick, its almost as if my body isn't used to moving this much weight. Not really a good feeling.

I always got winded fast when doing any sort of endurance work, and the extra mass i've got now makes that much worse. I want to add that to my training, even at the risk of slowing down strength gains (i'm in no rush, I just want to be stronger and healthier). At the same time, I don't want to plop around on an elliptical for 30 minutes or pay 200/month do join a crossfit gym.

So, what should I do? I can hit the gym on my off days to do some endurance stuff, or even sacrifice an SS workout a week and spend 1/3 getting my heart/lungs healthier. Doesn't particularly matter to me, but what exactly should I be doing in these workouts?

I'm 5'8, 175ish (up from low 140s).

Hi JS. Months on Starting Strength and want to get healthier heart and lungs -- good on you!

You wrote that brisk walking can tire you out, so I'd recommend an easy start on endurance work. And, a start that complements your weightlifting by getting you generally warmed-up. How about this: when you get to the gym, walk on the treadmill swinging your arms and/or plop around on the elliptical(s) and/or climb the stair machine. Start with 10-20 minutes and mix it up. As you get interested, look for ways to add walking into your daily routine. If that seems too easy, consider that starting a new habit is hard, at least for me.
    Last edited by Keith Friedman; 10-24-2011 at 04:57 AM.

Fuck treadmills, they're for faggots. Jump rope 4-5 times a week, 10 minutes of jump roping followed by 5 minutes followed of jump roping. It's got twice the effect of jogging, so it'll get your ass in shape better. Do everything you can to get better at jump roping. Quickness/cardio are improved by jump roping.

Do some burpees after each session. Start low and add an extra two each workout.