starting strength gym
Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Help with Stalling Early/Am I NDTP?

Default Help with Stalling Early/Am I NDTP?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    6'2", 237. Been on SS about 2 months. Lifts right now:

S: 220
    BP: 192.5 (benched a lot before discovering SS which is why this is disproportionate)
    DL: 265
    Press: 105
    PC: 100 (still trying to learn good technique on these)

I've suddenly hit a rut where I'm experiencing stalling in a lot of my lifts. Last week, I couldn't do 3X5 at 225 for the squat, and stayed at 220 for a couple sessions, then failed again last workout (i did 3X3). My last workout, I also couldn't do more than 3 reps at 275 DL, and 5.4.4 at 195 on bench (the workout before that, I couldn't do more than 3 reps at 110 on the press, although I think the problem there is I need to start microloading and 5 lb jumps won't be possible).

After making great progress for the first couple months, I'm getting really frustrated. This seems like too early to be stalling. Questions:

(1) Am I NDTP? My weight has dropped a little bit but largely stayed the same while I've been on the program. I was pretty high body fat to start with, and I can tell my body composition is definitely improving. Am I still fat enough that I shouldn't be expecting to gain weight, or do I still have a ways to go on that front? (Yes, I have read "A Clarification" but I didn't really address the precise point at which fat guys start gaining weight again after dropping). Should I just try eating more? I've been shooting for 3000-3500 calories with an emphasis on low carb/paleo, although I haven't been strict about that.

(2) My biggest problem is the stalling on the squat, which I think may be having a negative psychological effect that's spilling over to the other lifts. Should I reset? Should I get a belt? Should I try microloading the squat rather than 5 lb jumps? I really would like to get to 3 plates, at least, by the end of LP but that seems awfully far away if I'm having trouble now. 225 just feels damn heavy.

Anyways, I know there are a lot of questions in there, but any help or encouragement others can give would be helpful--I'm feeling discouraged after 2 great months of being on the program.

Last edited by msingh; 10-27-2011 at 10:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by msingh View Post
    What was your starting BW?
    Quote Originally Posted by broodingomnipresence View Post
    Am I NDTP? My weight has dropped a little bit but largely stayed the same while I've been on the program
    Last edited by Corrie; 10-27-2011 at 10:26 AM.

If strength is your goal it seems reasonable to me that now would be about the right time to let your weight start to creep back up. I wouldn't go apeshit, and gomad is certainly not necessary, but if you add in a bit more calories and your lifts take back off, you will have solved your own problem. You should also look at other recovery factors (sleep etc) to make sure they are in line.

Then again...you might not want to listen to me, since I'm a fatty and don't get all worked up by teh abzzorz.

If you're stalling at this point, and not a woman (always pays to check), yes, you are NTDTFP in some fashion.

Are you "fat" or just "chubby"? Maybe try adding a little more food and see what happens. At this point, you probably shouldn't be losing weight.

A belt might help. If you want to reset, take off more than 5lbs. IIRC it's 10% or so, which at 225lbs is 22.5lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Grantham View Post
    If strength is your goal it seems reasonable to me that now would be about the right time to let your weight start to creep back up. I wouldn't go apeshit, and gomad is certainly not necessary, but if you add in a bit more calories and your lifts take back off, you will have solved your own problem. You should also look at other recovery factors (sleep etc) to make sure they are in line.

Then again...you might not want to listen to me, since I'm a fatty and don't get all worked up by teh abzzorz.
    If you're under 15% bf you're not really fat.

My first guess would be food. I would work on getting more in and maybe not worrying too much about the carbohydrates - these come in awfully handy before, during, and after a training session. You may want to re-set the squat a little bit along with upping the food. It can do a lot of psychological good to feel some easier weight for a session and then just roll right along. I would think that at least 315 on the squat should be achievable under linear progression for someone of your size.

There's always the chance, too, that your form is off and that's causing additional problems. Feel free to upload a video.

Michael: thanks, that's helpful. Yes, strength is a goal, but I have to admit looking good is part of why I do this, too. But I suppose I can always cut fat later on.

OCG: Yes, I'm male. I'm not sure where on the fat/chubby spectrum I would classify myself. Haven't had my BF measured. It's definitely higher than I want it to be, but I am starting to see some decent definition in the mirror under a layer of fat. I will probably order a belt, and do a reset as you suggest if I can't hit 225 for 3 sets of 5 next time.

Quote Originally Posted by jillingworth View Post
    My first guess would be food. I would work on getting more in and maybe not worrying too much about the carbohydrates - these come in awfully handy before, during, and after a training session. You may want to re-set the squat a little bit along with upping the food. It can do a lot of psychological good to feel some easier weight for a session and then just roll right along. I would think that at least 315 on the squat should be achievable under linear progression for someone of your size.

There's always the chance, too, that your form is off and that's causing additional problems. Feel free to upload a video.
    Thanks, that's helpful. I may try to post a form check video at some point if I can sneak a camera into my gym. I've been working on trying to make sure I have good form after tweaking my lower back when i first hit 190 or so; I think I'm doing a much better job of keeping my abs tight and back in the correct position than I was before that happened.

starting strength coach development program
    One other issue I'm experiencing is as the squats have gotten heavier I am getting out of breath during a set, which Valsalva seems to exacerbate (i feel like I need to pause and really catch my breath at the top of each rep). Does this sound like a conditioning issue, or is this to be expected as weights get heavy?

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast