starting strength gym

Thread: Overhead Squats for a Novice

Default Overhead Squats for a Novice

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi, Mark -

First of all, I'd like to thank you for making yourself available to answer so many questions. I've learned more from reading this forum today than from any number of articles etc. on other sites. Mostly about how I need to think less and squat more.

Anyway, I've been on the SS program for 1 month now (after a couple of months doing routines from 'The New Rules For Lifting), and have been very pleased with my gains (now @200 on squat from 145, slowed down in the last couple of weeks to refocus on technique). I'm 29 years old, no athletic background, 5'11", 240, and am interested primarily in getting stronger and more flexible for now.

I added power cleans a couple of weeks ago after reading your post about how the only reason not to do them is if you want to be a pussy... It was good advice, although I'm sure my form leaves plenty to be desired, picking a barbell up off the ground is not freakin' rocket science, and it makes me feel like a champ. I'm definitely going to explore oly lifting more in the future, and I know I'll need to develop my overhead squat to do this.

Anyway, I've done some OH squatting with broomsticks and the bar just to mess around and stretch out my back, and I really like the movement. I'm interested in integrating them into my program one day a week, and I'm aware that they will reduce my gains - the questions is, how much? I know I'm nowhere near needing a light-day exercise as you mention here, and I guess I'm wondering if the benefits of the OH squat (making my back feel awesome and easier time snatching when I start doing that) might be worth the detriments (not getting bigger and stronger as quickly).

Thanks,

Zach

I'd wait to do them until later since there's no place to put them in your program right now, at least not with enough weight to make any difference. Just practice with the bar after you finish pressing, and maybe do a few sets of 3 with light weights. Plenty of time in a few more weeks for assistance exercises, but just use these first few weeks to improve your basic strength.