starting strength gym

Thread: SS Novice Right For Military?

Default SS Novice Right For Military?

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Coach,

After reading almost half of the total threads here, and performing a search, i've not found quite the answers i'm looking for. I'm in the US ARMY currently deployed to Iraq for the second time. The first time, a one year tour, i spent a lot of time in the gym using "custom" lifting routines mainly formed from assorted bodybuilding magazines. Having realized the error of my ways, this time from the start i wanted to build myself physically "from the ground, up". Deciding to start with your program, Starting Strength for Novices, seemed like the right move. I'm 21 years old, 195 lbs, 5' 8", ~20% bodyfat.

1) Do you suggest a different approach? I am physically stronger than average, due to rigorous military training and am used to taxation and recovery; however, aside from the year of "custom lifting routines", i AM a novice to weightlifting.

2) If so, what approach should i take?

Thanks for your time.

No, the novice program is exactly what you should be doing. It doesn't matter how strong you are now, if you are untrained you are just a very strong novice who will get even stronger very quickly.

Alright then. Thank you again for your time.

By the way, progress is going well for me so far. I very much look forward to my workouts.