starting strength gym

Thread: Learning to Power Snatch

Default Learning to Power Snatch

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Coach Rip,

My name is George Heckert. I was at your basic barbell cert in Olathe, KS this past weekend. You gave me the homework assignment of learning to power snatch using your power clean progression. Here's a video of a couple of practice reps. Please let me know how I'm doing, and what I might need to change.

http://strengthmill.com/viewvideo/22...ref=Georgeheck

wfs

Worked pretty good, huh? Widen your grip and aim higher at your waist for the second pull, but other than that it looks good for an early power snatch. Now you just make it faster.

By the way, it seems that your hips start unnecessarily lower on the first rep, as compared to the second rep. I only mention that because I found that having my hips higher helps me keep the bar closer to my legs. I'm not sure why that is, though.

Way to go George.

I am still working on my power clean.

Mark, are you saying that pull point is higher on the thigh than the jump spot on the PC?

Jeremy

Keeping your hips higher makes the bar come straight up, not having to go out around your knees, the whole pulling mechanics deal, no different for a snatch, just a more horizontal back angle due to the wider grip. And the wider grip will also raise the point of contact for the second pull to a point between your pubis and your ASIS. The wider the grip, the higher the bar hangs against your body.