starting strength gym

Thread: Snatches and straps

Default Snatches and straps

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Rip, how often would you say it's acceptable for a lifter to snatch with straps without it having a negative effect on the snatch grip?

I'm currently snatching and cleaning 6 days a week and my hands start to sting and burn even just thinking about touching the bar.

Also, I'm not really sure if you're the best person to ask but I'll shoot anyway - Do you know how often bulgarian style programmes made use of the power versions of the lifts?

Thanks

I'd say that pulling this much almost requires the use of straps unless your fingers are very long, and maybe even if they are. If your hook is good, your grip will be okay. And I'm not the guy to ask about Bulgarian programming specifics. Moser is.

I snatch 6 days a week and alternate power snatches with full snatches for the most part. I try to power snatch with straps to save my hands. I also do almost all of my pulls with straps. Basically, if there is a day when my hands just don't want to touch the bar, I will use straps regardless, but that started happening less and less once I was training 6 days a week for so many months.

It hasn't affected my grip strength at all. Also, I have yet to set a snatch PR with straps so I am not really worried that I can snatch more with straps than without, haha.

None of my lifters use straps, though...at least not yet...