starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Military Strength and Conditioning Program (Simple and Effective)

Default Military Strength and Conditioning Program (Simple and Effective)

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I know there are some military guys on this board, and it is always a challenge to incorporate strength training into a military fitness program. This program is most applicable to someone that has a good strength base after completing a program like SS. Here is what we do in my unit:

(All exercises Sets x Reps for sets across)

Monday
    Power Clean: 5x3
    Press: 3x5
    Squat: 5x3
    Rows: 3x5
    Ab Wheel: 3x10

Tuesday
    Sprints
    Conditioning Circuit

Wednesday
    Light run (Recovery)

Thursday
    Hang Power Snatch: 5x3
    Bench Press: 3x5
    Deadlift: 1x5
    Pullups: 3xfailure
    TGUs: 3x20 (10 each arm)

Friday
    Sprints
    Conditioning Circuit

Notes:

-Power production should be the focus of all athletes, including military personnel. That is why the power clean and hang power snatch are prioritized first in the strength workouts. The hang variation of the power snatch was chosen as to not interfere with the deadlift.

-All strength workouts consists of a full body explosive lift, an upper body push/pull, a lower body exercise, and a core strengthening exercise.

-Squats are done for triples rather than fives because military personnel don't need large thighs. Do a 20k ruck march after doing SS for 3-4 months and that rash between your legs will make this point all too clear.

-We usually do 400m repeats one day and hill sprints the other day for our sprints. You could also do prowler work or longer/shorter distances. Whatever floats your boat.

-Conditioning circuits can be whatever you like. You could just do a circuit from CF or Military Athlete if you like. You could do barbell complexes. You could do kettlebell stuff. Just vary the movements and go very, very hard.

-Our recovery run is usually 2-4 miles at an easy pace.

Best of luck.

How can I transfer to your unit?

My current unit PT plan is:

Mon-long distance run
    Tue-long distance run with BW squats while waiting for people who are sore from Mon
    Wed-See Tue
    Thur-See Tue
    Friday-Equipment maintenance and floor hockey

damn, that's actually a decent program.

Quote Originally Posted by Marotta View Post
    damn, that's actually a decent program.
    I dunno, I prefer Duck-Duck-Goose to floor hockey. But other than that, yeah, good program.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Dell Whitley View Post

-Squats are done for triples rather than fives because military personnel don't need large thighs. Do a 20k ruck march after doing SS for 3-4 months and that rash between your legs will make this point all too clear.
    Truer words have never been spoken, Im on the verge of tears after some runs from rashy bloody thighs. Powder up

Just a though after experience with very strong dudes in my unit.

Beeing strong is one the best ways to get good carrying a back pack. But after a while the marginal utility of strength decreases fast, while marginal utility conditiong and endurance is more cost-effective to work with.

I don't know if your unit walks alot with big rucksacsk (>25kg + uniform, combat vests and weapons), but if you do, walking with long distance with rucksacks are mandatory, every now and then. Also short mountain walks (ca 1hr) seemed to work good.

On a norwegian army board somebody (or it might have been the crossfit board) said that a russian experiment/paper showed that deadlifting was the main factor for improved ruck endurance, which seemes logical. You can walk with very tired legs, but once your lower backs collapses, you can't carry shit. Something to consider if your unit does ISTAR/Ranger or similiar.

Ryan,
    I think your program looks great. I have a question for everyone. How the fuck do you learn to do "hang cleans/snatches/anything"? I try to do it with light weights and I haven't figured out how to coordinate my body to do it. Regular cleans I do with pretty good form, but trying to clean form my thighs (as in the hang clean) I just feel like I am trying to bang a doorknob or something because everytime it ends up being a hipthrusting reverse curl, and this is with a weight of like 20, 30, 40kg. Not heavy by any means. Any advice would be great.

Drew... Jump.

Van Halen?? How the hell is that going to help? But seriously, thats the trick? I have watched videos of how to do it and it just doesn't make sense to me still. I will try the "jump"

starting strength coach development program
    Drew...from the hang, bend your knees slightly until the bar is at the point on your thighs where you would normally initiate the second pull during a power clean. From this point, jump as high as possible and dip under the bar. It feels awkward, but practice makes perfect.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast