starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snatch on light day with Texas Method

Default Snatch on light day with Texas Method

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi Mark,

Doing Texas method with heavy full cleans on Mondays and high volume power cleans of Fridays. Would snatches be an acceptable light-Wednesdays activity, or would the extra power requirements cancel out the lighter weight on the bar? Would 3x3 be a good set/rep scheme for light day snatch?

Many Thanks,

Drew

(If you're wondering where the deadlifts are, I am training them every other week or so. I am able to pull about 170kgx5 and they wear me out if I train them every week. I have opted for full-clean 1rm/2rm/3rm on heavy days because I enjoy them and because I want to get into some weightlifting competitions eventually.)

Depends on how much you're snatching and how good your conditioning for the explosive work is. If they constitute an actual load, they will affect Friday, obviously. If you're just doing 40k, go ahead. I wouldn't do more than doubles on the snatch.

Default I want to snatch on the light day too.

I'm thinking of singles for the snatch. How much should I be doing? Would 6 singles with a minute rest between be sufficient?
    My easy day is: Power clean 3X3, Press 2X5, L pull ups 2X5, snatch.

Singles are the typical snatch protocol.
    Last edited by Mark Rippetoe; 08-08-2010 at 04:43 PM.

I'd doubt your ability to be explosive on the recovery day. Considering that you really push yourself hard on the volume day, you should be damn exhausted and fried on the recovery day, with no ability to do anything hard or taxing both technically or physically.

This is the second time i have heard this style of programming snatches; where you only do singles but timed on the minute for sets across.

Right now i do 8 triples on my snatch volume day. But my form has gone to pot from this.

I tried doing 15 singles on the minute, and it realy allowed me to 'find the groove' and get better form. But i don't think it was enough volume.

how many singles should i do? 25? 30?
    Also at what kind of % of my 1rm?

i know that:
    5 sets of 5 ~ 80%
    8 sets of 3 ~ 85%
    5 rep max ~ 85%

Quote Originally Posted by The Sun View Post
    I'd doubt your ability to be explosive on the recovery day. Considering that you really push yourself hard on the volume day, you should be damn exhausted and fried on the recovery day, with no ability to do anything hard or taxing both technically or physically.
    I'd doubt your ability to be certain of this, since for many good lifters it's not true.

Quote Originally Posted by Randle McMurphy View Post
    This is the second time i have heard this style of programming snatches; where you only do singles but timed on the minute for sets across.

Right now i do 8 triples on my snatch volume day. But my form has gone to pot from this.

I tried doing 15 singles on the minute, and it realy allowed me to 'find the groove' and get better form. But i don't think it was enough volume.

how many singles should i do? 25? 30?
    Also at what kind of % of my 1rm?
    It's enough volume if you pick the weights correctly, as opposed to 15 easy singles. It will require some experimentation.

Quote Originally Posted by The Sun View Post
    Recovery Day Presses - 205x5x5 at a bodyweight of 206. 48 hours after volume day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=penkWYCPS5c

This where Rip's comment about work capacity comes into play, The Sun.

Quote Originally Posted by KSC View Post
    Recovery Day Presses - 205x5x5 at a bodyweight of 206. 48 hours after volume day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=penkWYCPS5c

This where Rip's comment about work capacity comes into play, The Sun.
    KSC, presses are not equivalent by any mean to an explosive movement such as the powerclean or the snatch. It's great that you can perform sets across with 70-80% of your maximum press on the recovery day, but how about trying to max your powerclean?

try that, and tell me what you got.

p.s

you should check your max PC on intensity day, and then give it a try on the recovery day.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe
    It's enough volume if you pick the weights correctly, as opposed to 15 easy singles. It will require some experimentation.
    Right this volume day I did 25 singles on the minute with 88.6% of my 1RM.

The groove felt beautiful, but it wasn't easy. I missed 2 reps out of the 25, but i didn't count those towards the total volume.

I guess the ultimate test is to see what happens on the PR day.

do you think 25 singles is too much?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast