starting strength gym

Thread: Question about Re-Starting Novice Progression

Default Question about Re-Starting Novice Progression

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Here it goes. The first time I ran the novice progression I had major success, in two months I went from 175lbs to 187lbs and my squat went from 145lbs to 237lbs! All of my other lifts improved dramatically too.

Once the summer started I had to move and no longer had access to a gym, only a barbel, weights and a bench. I tried to do the major lifts that I could to keep my strength but because of a terrible diet, lack of rest and a very physically demanding job I ended up losing strength on all of my lifts.

Now that I moved back home I decided to start up the novice progression again but the first day in the gym I was surprised to find out I had trouble squatting 185lbs for 3 sets! I can still deadlift 270lbsx5, bench 180lbx5, press 120lbx5 and PC 140lbx3.

So my questions are, how much should I reset the squat? and should I drop the other lifts by 10% too or more so that my squat can catch up?

Reset all the lifts enough so that fit the reps and sets of the program. Then do the program. The first time, you did not do the program.

http://startingstrength.com/articles...n_rippetoe.pdf

Thanks for the quick response. Two questions.
    1. Does that mean start the squat at 185lb? because I can do that 3x5 its just that the bar movement is slow on the last few reps, or do you mean drop it by 10%?

2. Besides the fact that I didn't squeeze everything out of linear progression, how is it that I didn't do the program? The 2-3 months I was on it my BW shot up and so did my my lifts?

1. Back off to 175 x 5 x 3.

2. Your bodyweight "shot up" 12 lbs. That's not a lot of shooting.