starting strength gym

Thread: Novice to Intermediate after layoff

Default Novice to Intermediate after layoff

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    G'day Rip,

I've been sick on and off most of this past winter (southern hemisphere and all). I've lost strength, got some back on SS, got sick again, and the cycle continued. So, while I was previously an intermediate on TM, I've been pretty much maintaining at 10-20% down on all my lifts on SS for the last 3-4 months.

Just now I'm approaching my old numbers, and I'm wondering if, when I stall, it's worth resetting the linear progression, or if I should just move straight back to an intermediate program.

Thanks,
    Tim

You seem to have health problems. I think this is an awfully picky question for someone who can't put together 6 months of uninterrupted training.

No chronic health problems. Just a generally poor immune system since I was a kid mixed with a bad winter for colds/flus/throat infections for a lot of people around me, a few stressful things in life (busyness, deaths) and my first winter as a Dad (apparently kids spread sickness like nobody's business). Now it's warming up, and I'm taking stacks of vitamin C, getting better sleep, and I've been feeling great for the last 5 weeks.

In terms of training continuity, this is the first time in 2.5 years training that I've had more than a week off (apart from a 2 week holiday in China 1.5 years ago). So its been particularly frustrating. Though, I took the opportunity to get some coaching while I was reset, and now I'm making great progress, and beating old PRs on the press and bench.

Anyway, it's a pretty simple question really. In your experience, do resets squeeze much out of a linear progression when using a linear progression to come back from a layoff? Or, are resets just not worthwhile, and its just as effective to switch back to intermediate once you stall?

Depends on the length of the layoff. If several months, do a short linear progression to ramp up to your previous numbers. If a short layoff, just start back on the program with enough backoff to allow the workouts to be completed.

Thanks Rip.