starting strength gym

Thread: The Rack Jerk

Default The Rack Jerk

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Maybe a stupid question... but I read on here all the time that a behind the neck press will tear up your shoulders. why is a rack jerk any different? I see oly lifters doing it all the time as assistance work and as a way to get into position for an OH squat.

1. Is it because it is done with a snatch grip?
    2. Bringing the bar back down behind the neck to land on the traps looks dangerous as balls. Is it?

As a weightlifter it is my opinion that the behind the neck rack jerk is a stupid useless exercise. People do them because they are significantly easier then the traditional rack jerk. More weight can be used (in some cases a significant amount more) because the struggle to keep the weight over mid-foot is significantly diminished (this is the part where most people falter and need to practice) and the "feel" for the bounce is completely different. Also re-racking a heavy weight on to your delts is a pain in the ass. The exercise gives a false sense of security to the lifter in what they are actually capable of jerking and if done enough can interfere with the feel for the bounce.

During a behind the neck press you are subjecting the shoulder, in a compromised position, to the load through out the entire ROM. During a behind the neck push press/jerk/snatch balance the shoulder is only being subjected to the load after it's out of the danger zone. If your doing a jerk/snatch balance correctly the shoulder will receive the load in it's most stable position, regardless of starting position, making both exercises safe.

As far as re-racking goes it is my opinion from experience it is significantly easier to re-rack a bar on to your traps then to your delts. I doubt there are any statistics on this but I think you are much more likely to fracture a wrist then a vertebrae with those two injuries being the worst case scenario of each case. As I stated above this is probably one of the main reasons (even if never stated) they are so popular.
    Last edited by Nick D'Agostino; 08-05-2014 at 07:25 PM. Reason: word choice

Kyle Schuant Guest

I have never understood why the same people who argue the low-bar back squat is wrong for weightlifters because it does not precisely replicate a movement in either of the two lifts will at the same time advocate a behind the neck jerk as an assistance exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Schuant View Post
    I have never understood why the same people who argue the low-bar back squat is wrong for weightlifters because it does not precisely replicate a movement in either of the two lifts will at the same time advocate a behind the neck jerk as an assistance exercise.
    We never will understand.