starting strength gym

Thread: Quads get really sore when pressing, screws up squatting

Default Quads get really sore when pressing, screws up squatting

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    In the past I've made the mistake of not getting tight enough when pressing and hyperextending pretty bad. Problem is that now after every pressing set, my quads get pretty sore. Not the date after, but right when I finish the last rep.

After that I often squat and the sore quads kinda screw that up. Generally it seems best to do the lighter lift first in order to not have too much fatigue. But in the worse case I could squat first and then press.

I am curious though.. am I doing anything wrong? It doesn't seem normal that quads get sore right away when pressing? Maybe some nutritional deficiency?

Quote Originally Posted by mkkn View Post
    In the past I've made the mistake of not getting tight enough when pressing and hyperextending pretty bad. Problem is that now after every pressing set, my quads get pretty sore. Not the date after, but right when I finish the last rep.

After that I often squat and the sore quads kinda screw that up. Generally it seems best to do the lighter lift first in order to not have too much fatigue. But in the worse case I could squat first and then press.

I am curious though.. am I doing anything wrong? It doesn't seem normal that quads get sore right away when pressing? Maybe some nutritional deficiency?
    I'm curious too. Can you take a video? This sounds incredibly strange to me. Is it a cramp?

I always squat first. My quads cramp up badly when I am trying to maintain maximum tightness towards the end of my press sets.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    I'm curious too. Can you take a video? This sounds incredibly strange to me. Is it a cramp?
    Not really. It feels more like soreness or maybe a bit like lactic acid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Q_i...ature=youtu.be

Weight is light, ramping back up while making sure form is better. Still not great though. Have short tight hip flexors, so when it feels like I'm straight, I'm not. Always feels like I have to push hips forward excessively. So some reps I'm still kinda adjusting that.

Apologies for the terrible music.. and no, those are not my tissues. Some guy uses them instead of chalk and didn't bother to throw them away afterwards. Haha.

Squat first. Done.

I agree, you should squat first.

That being said, clenched butt cheeks have always done more for me than the tensed quads cue in terms of keeping upper body stability (on Press 1.0). However, I have absolutely no issues with turning heavy presses into push presses on accident, so your results may vary. The few times I've gotten similar quad soreness during presses was when I thought too much about it.

About the overextension- you may find it easier to stay tight if you slow the eccentric a little.

One question, why are you not doing the press 2.0? As it's taught in SS 3rd edition.

I can't see the video but :
    are you getting your head forward as soon as you can
    OR
    are you holding the layback longer than you should?

I do strict press (I guess that is close to V1.0, I haven't really been interested in it enought to investigate it) but if I get heavy and layback too long I feel it more in my quads than normal.

starting strength coach development program
    I also have this quad soreness after doing presses (2.0/olympic) from contracting them hard. I just did a 165 lb 5RM press yesterday and today I should squat despite my quads still being really sore. Maybe I'll have to switch the days in the TM split routine.