starting strength gym

Thread: tendinosis rectus femoris

Default tendinosis rectus femoris

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    hey,

i'm 32y - 187lbs and 6'3. Have been doing triatlon for the last 4 years. Stopped about a few months ago and still try to maintain my shape with swimming and running twice a week. Recently I also started with SS, with good gains so far.

i've been following the program for 6 weeks and started feeling pain around the hip flexors during eccentric movement of the squats. The first week i started my squats with 90 lbs and worked my way up to 132 lbs but then the problem started.

Felt a burning pain while at my desk. Went to the MD and apparently a tendinosis of the rectus femoris at the hip.

I am not doing any squats now, even with an empty bar it hurts. I think it's to risky to train through the pain.

any advice on how to proceed? Apparently it should take about 6 weeks to be completely healed...

thanks in advance!!

This is addressed at length in the book. Buy the book, read the book.

Well, I bought starting strength and and Practical Programming and now reread a few chapters and this is what I learn about the cause of my condition:

1. my feet were probably not wide enough which caused my tendon of the rectus femorus got impiched by the ASIS -> correcting stance
    2. due to my triathlon history (including a lot of cycling): my quads are in good shape, but not equiped to handle a lot of eccentric movement. I felt the pain during the eccentric movement

conclusion: rest and starting from sratch when pain is gone. With a good technique.

If what I am saying doesn't make sense, please feel free to correct me. If not, than I have learned a lot and shared it with others.

grtz

Hey, er big number dude.

What you said makes sense, and you bought the book(s) and read them, so good for you.

Please don't leave this thread unresolved, though? The world needs to know whether your "course-corrections" worked, so please update your story here? Get a video form check (read the sticky first!) if you need help with your form.

Good luck...