starting strength gym

Thread: Hard physical work and intermediate training, howhich to solve?

Default Hard physical work and intermediate training, howhich to solve?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Have read the 3rd and previous edition of the practical programming and have tried to find advice on the following problem.

Texas method is a very well working template if one can focus on descent recovery, eating, sleeping and no* endurance sports. Have gained really impressive results with that.

However, problems start when I must, and I truly mean must, do rather long biking to the workplace every day, 11 miles one way, or do timber jack or other physically taxing work. Then immediate regression occurs for inadequate recovery.

My question is: could you give adcice on* how intermediate training could be programmed when one either cannot avoid heavily physical work (comparable to taxing endurance sports) or if one wants to do endurance sports?

If you got through your novice progression doing hard physical work, you have a high baseline activity level already, to which you are already adapted. I don't see a problem, if you're eating enough.

A simple fix, if the truly taxing days are rare enough, is to replace whatever the next session was supposed to be with a "light" day at your next session. Then return to the regularly scheduled programming.

I've had to do this with times where I got absolutely shitty sleep. I'd sometimes only even work up to to a single with the weight I was going to do for 5's or some other volume reduction scheme. There was no way I could have hit the numbers, or if I did manage to somehow, I'd pay heavily the next day, but if I just skipped a session altogether I feared I'd regress a bit.