starting strength gym

Thread: Migrating from Stronglifts 5x5 to SS

Default Migrating from Stronglifts 5x5 to SS

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi!

I'm thinking about migrating from Stronglifts 5x5 to SS.

I'll have to learn to power clean, of course.

My questions are around what I should expect:
    • The lower volume will make the workouts seem easy, I expect. Since I am not having problems progressing with the 5x5 volume, will the 3x5 volume still be enough to bring the 5 lb/workout progress?
    • I'll spend less time in the gym, at least from doing two sets less per exercise, right? (seems obvious, but...)

Way more context below, if you care to read it...

About two years ago (2012), I came upon and started Stronglifts 5x5 and followed it loosely for about 4-5 months, with interruptions due to shoulder problems. Very soon after I started SL, I got SS (book and DVD) and used it to learn technique for the lifts that it had in common with SL. It didn't prevent the shoulder problems.

About a year and a half ago, I basically gave up because of the shoulder problems. And then this past November (2013), I decided to buy Dave Draper's Top Squat and give it a try to hopefully get back to training and still be able to to something close to a back squat.

I buckled down with SL5x5 program in the second week of January, being strict with its 3x/week workouts.

I saw a Starting Strength coach about a week in to check my low bar squat form, just to make sure that I wasn't missing anything obvious. He didn't note anything that would have been causing my shoulder problems--no mobility, flexibility, or form problems.

So I just let go of the goal of getting to do low bar squats. High bar still feels like it would get to me, though I haven't tried it a lot. Doing squats with the Top Squat seems to be working just fine.

I continued on with the program (SL).

Anyway, I've now reached new PRs in my squat (with the Top Squat), DL, and Pendlay rows. For my OHP and bench, I'd re-started lower relative to my previous PRs to hopefully give my shoulder some extra strengthening ramp-up.

I'm thinking about migrating to SS' beginner program, both because my SS coach suggested that the 5x5 volume might be a bit much (inviting injury? inviting overtraining? just doing more than is necessary?), and, frankly, for time savings (the workouts were just taking so darned long, 2.5 hours or so).

You should stay with the stronglifts program. Starting Strength sucks