Thread: Squat Form please help

Default Squat Form please help

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    • starting strength seminar april 2025
    Hi coaches novice here in desperate need of guidence

YouTube

Here is my final warm up set of 65kg x 2

And here is my working set which just felt really bad so i only did a single rep of 75 kg

YouTube

Here is my previous session last working set of 72.5 kg

YouTube

Don’t look straight down. Look at the floor about four to six feet in front of you. The idea is to keep your neck(cervacal spine) neutral with the rest of your back (spine). Your neck should be neutral with your back. I would also say at the first quarter of your decent knees forward and out towards your toes a bit more but keep your knees there till the last quarter of your ascent.

Coach, one part which confuses me is after the squat is initiated with the simultaneous breaking of the knees and hips, how should further depth be attained? Through pushing knees apart, or hips travelling further back :/ sorry if its a dumb question

Knees stay in line with your toes. Don’t let your knees cave in because that puts unhealthy stress on the knee joint. Also your knees shouldn’t travel outside your toes because it will throw off your balance. Begin your decent with simultaneous hips back knees forward and out towards your toes and chest pointed at the floor. Set your knee position at the first quarter(about) of your decent and continue your decent by sinking your hips.

You are about 2 inches too deep on these, so further depth is not your problem. And since 75 was performed at about the same bar speed as 72.5, I'd say having the balls to do something you perceive as hard is the actual problem. There is no way you could not have finished that set at 75, and giving yourself permission to quit is a very bad habit to develop.

Wow, a post from the man himself. Thank you sir for the advice and you probably hear this all the time but also thanks for your books starting strength and practical programming and the treasure trove of information you have provided the world. Rip I will hit 75 kg for 3 sets on my next workout Wednesday just you watch

as promised coaches, i think im struggling with going too deep, any suggestions:
    YouTube
    set 2, sorry no set 1 as i butchered the camera angle
    YouTube
    set 3

Quote Originally Posted by salahudinshazlee View Post
    as promised coaches, i think im struggling with going too deep, any suggestions:
    YouTube
    set 2, sorry no set 1 as i butchered the camera angle
    YouTube
    set 3
    Break at the hips and knees at the same time; you're breaking with the hips first, and as a result your knees don't move forward until late in the movement. Get them set above the toes quickly, then lock them there.

I know this sounds dumb, but I thought I was =(

starting strength coach development program
    *breaking at the knees and hips at once

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast