starting strength gym

Thread: Reset Squats or try again?

Default Reset Squats or try again?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hi coaches,
    Quick question for you if you don't mind. I missed a couple workouts last week due to work. Came back to the gym on Thurs and did a medium day for squats and continued where I left off with deads and bench, everything went fine. Then I got food poisoning or a stomach bug that night, felt like shit yesterday and couldn't eat much. Felt better today and went to the gym to do squats, press, and chins and failed miserably on the squats. Trying for 300 for 3x5. Legs were tired on warm-up sets. Got 3 reps on the first set and 2 on the second. Dropped the weight down to 255 and did a set of 5.

Im doing the NLP (about 10 weeks in) and started doing a back off day midweek on squats 2 weeks ago. My question is should I try for the 300 again on Tuesday when I go back (I workout Tues, Thur, and Sat) or reset the squat weight and work my way back up? I haven't done a reset on squat before.

Stats:
    beginning/now
    165/190lbs body weight
    155/295lbs squat
    135/205lbs bench
    85/149kilo dead
    95/155lbs press
    52/82kilo PC

Thank you for your time!

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Burkhardt View Post
    Hi coaches,
    Quick question for you if you don't mind. I missed a couple workouts last week due to work. Came back to the gym on Thurs and did a medium day for squats and continued where I left off with deads and bench, everything went fine. Then I got food poisoning or a stomach bug that night, felt like shit yesterday and couldn't eat much. Felt better today and went to the gym to do squats, press, and chins and failed miserably on the squats. Trying for 300 for 3x5. Legs were tired on warm-up sets. Got 3 reps on the first set and 2 on the second. Dropped the weight down to 255 and did a set of 5.

Im doing the NLP (about 10 weeks in) and started doing a back off day midweek on squats 2 weeks ago. My question is should I try for the 300 again on Tuesday when I go back (I workout Tues, Thur, and Sat) or reset the squat weight and work my way back up? I haven't done a reset on squat before.

Stats:
    beginning/now
    165/190lbs body weight
    155/295lbs squat
    135/205lbs bench
    85/149kilo dead
    95/155lbs press
    52/82kilo PC

Thank you for your time!
    I'm not entirely clear on how many sessions were missed between work and illness, but this recent Andy Baker article should get you moving forward: Coming Back After a Layoff | Andy Baker