starting strength gym

Thread: Intensity day question

Default Intensity day question

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hey guys,
    Does each lift on TM intensity day have to be a true max , done to failure ?

IMO, no. You should be trying to set a PR on your set of 5 (or 4, 3 later on). When you first start, I don't think this will be a true 5 rep max. If you have some gas left in the tank, save it for next week. Strength gains aren't a sprint, they're a marathon. (Not to be confused with running marathons, which sucks.)

PR does not equal failure.

A 5 RM is a 5 RM max. A 4 RM may have been intended to be a 5 RM if you failed on the 5th rep, but that's not necessarily the goal.

We don't train to fail, we train to get stronger and set PR's.
    Last edited by Jimmy Tereyla; 09-06-2012 at 01:27 PM.

My most successful run on TM took me from 455x3 to 500x5 on the squat. I had several reps left in the tank each week, and still just repped it out when I got to 500. My 1 rep max before this cycle was 507.

Quote Originally Posted by hamburgerfan View Post
    My most successful run on TM took me from 455x3 to 500x5 on the squat. I had several reps left in the tank each week, and still just repped it out when I got to 500. My 1 rep max before this cycle was 507.
    I'm still doing SS for the squat. TM is for the bench. Did you train it this way too ?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by exter View Post
    I'm still doing SS for the squat. TM is for the bench. Did you train it this way too ?
    Why would it be different for bench, press, etc.? If you fail often, you're not programming correctly. The goal is to hit all of your reps. Can you go to failure just to see how many you can do at a given weight? Sure.. I don't think anyone's going to kill you for it...