starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ache in hip joint after squatting

mikeylikey Guest

Default Ache in hip joint after squatting

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to read. I've been on the program for not quite 2 weeks, and I'm starting to notice some ache/pain in my hips, right in the joints. No vids right now, but one thing I think I am doing is getting my knees too far forward.

The pain is a dull pain, exacerbated by motion or extreme flexion or extension. Like i said, feels almost like it's the bone itself that is sore.

At this point, it's not very bad at all, but I don't want to just go ignoring pain (except for doms, that you just have to live with).

the background: I'm 26, 5'10" 188# and have never squatted in my life before now. My last work set was 3 x 5 @ 155# and was relatively easy.
    Last edited by mikeylikey; 06-01-2010 at 07:41 AM.

Can you get a video of your squats posted?
    How has your progression gone? (starting weight, increments used, current weight)

<EDIT> Sorry I just read the rest of your post ... duh</EDIT>
    Last edited by ColoWayno; 06-01-2010 at 07:46 AM.

mikeylikey Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ColoWayno View Post
    Can you get a video of your squats posted?
    How has your progression gone? (starting weight, increments used, current weight)

<EDIT> Sorry I just read the rest of your post ... duh</EDIT>
    Yeah, planning on taking a vid next time.

I have a log here:

http://www.startingstrength.com/reso...ad.php?t=16983

Mikey, I had this problem a few weeks ago. My pain was because I let my back relax at the bottom of my squats. I tried resting it and that helped a bit but the major thing I did was I started taking 4-6 fish oil caps a day and I also took 3 glucosamine chondroitin caps a day as well. Once I started the supplements the pain cleared up in like 2 or 3 days.

I haven't taken any fish oil or glucosamine the past few days because I ran out, but I squatted 195 for 3x5 on Sunday and I have no pain at all.

Obviously without a video I am just guessing, but you may not be shoving your knees out on the way down and/or not keeping them shoved out on the way back up. This could lead to an impingement of the hip joint (see Rip's Active Hip 2.0 in the articles section).

Also, foam rolling and active release of the IT band has helped me whenever I get hip aches/pains.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeylikey View Post
    i've been on the program for not quite 2 weeks, and i'm starting to notice some ache/pain in my hips, right in the joints.

I'm 26, 5'10" 188# and have never squatted in my life before now. My last work set was 3 x 5 @ 155# and was relatively easy.
    okay maybe i'll go out on a limb cause i know a lil something about pain....sounds like maybe menstrual cramps to me....? Maybe your tampon is in too tight? Or maybe your new and as you stated you never squatted before= legs/joints not accustomed to this?

Once I started the supplements the pain cleared up in like 2 or 3 days.
    It is highly unlikely and probably impossible that your supplements could have done this in 2 to 3 days. Your pain either went away by itself, you fixed your form, or you experienced the very real and strong placebo effect. Perhaps a mix of all three.

mikeylikey Guest

Quote Originally Posted by StrongIslander,NY View Post
    okay maybe i'll go out on a limb cause i know a lil something about pain....sounds like maybe menstrual cramps to me....? Maybe your tampon is in too tight?
    Hey, yeah, my tampon is probably too tight. Can you reach up here and adjust it for me? I know it's a stretch for you at 5'4" but I have faith in you.

Seriously though, I'm not pussing out, like I said the pain is not even that bad, I just wondered if it rung a bell in anybody's head as to a form problem that I can go ahead and correct now.

And I am shoving my knees out.
    Last edited by mikeylikey; 06-01-2010 at 01:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TomC View Post
    It is highly unlikely and probably impossible that your supplements could have done this in 2 to 3 days. Your pain either went away by itself, you fixed your form, or you experienced the very real and strong placebo effect. Perhaps a mix of all three.
    I did pay more attention to form, I made sure to keep my lower back tight and I kept my knees out but I still had a lot of pain. I don't know the science behind the supplements but all I know is that I had pain and was unable to squat "heavy" weights for like 2-3 weeks and I started the supplements on a Thursday and on the following Sunday I was able to squat close to where I was before I got hurt with no pain in my hip and only a little bit of soreness in my knee.

starting strength coach development program
    This is textbook knees sliding forward at the bottom. Fix that first before you do anything else. May take a week or so to clear. It may not clear until you've had a rest. If it doesn't go away no matter what you do, take a week off of heavy lifting and get your knees sorted out perfectly. Do not let them slide forward at the bottom.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast