starting strength gym

Thread: Reset after a vacation/deload

Default Reset after a vacation/deload

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Andy,

I hope you would indulge me again and so we could review the finer points of resetting after a deload. Last time you provided me a guideline and things worked out pretty well but this month I had an unfortunate, unplanned deload (suddenly could not squat for 9 days) in only the 5 week of my cycle. (Basically the week I was going to finally tie my 3RM PR from the end of May).

I basically did not want to reset again and tried to rush back (albeit with less volume). It was sort of a disaster. Not only was the 3x5 weight a grind which was not fun, but I was so incredibly sore it was a total drag and even after two rest days i wasn't ready to do volume or intensity anyway. I had to do a recovery workout and now will have to deload and go back to the 5x5 I started at in the beginning of June.

Normally I do this after a break:
    day 1: Light, recover squat
    day 3: Ramping volume (225x5, 235x5, 245x5, 255x5, 265x5 for instance)
    day 6: First volume workout

As you can see, it takes almost a week to even get back to the schedule, but I avoid serious DOMS and feel good my first week back under the barbell. I'm 45 and live in a 4-flight walk-up so having a modicum of comfort in my training is a requirement-- I'm not getting paid to do this. The DOMS this week were so bad it interfered with the training anyway, so there no gain in rushing back....

My question:
    Is there anyway to accelerate your return from a deload and/or PR territory or do I pretty much have to do my above protocol and then patiently lift for 5 weeks before I finally set a new PR?

I think this type of thing is highly individual. After a week off, I don't generally find people lose too much.

If you were out 10 days to 2 weeks with no squatting then you might do something like this (using an example 275x5x5 and 315x5 for a lifter on the TM).

Last workout before layoff: 275x5x5 ; 5 x 315

2 weeks out due to travel/illness/etc.....

First workout back 260x5x5; 300x5
    Second week back 270x5x5; 310x5
    Third week back: 280x5x5; 320x5

Basically that would have you hitting PR's again by your 3rd week back to training....

I think up to a week I'm OK, but past that I'm screwed. Plus it was a very stressful 9 days and my sleep was crap.

Your numbers makes sense, and I was thinking about trying 10 pound jumps in so I'll see how that goes. I certainly would make up lost time.

I find that coming back to 5x5, even at a lower weight, leaves me brutally sore. I'll try your approach next time except with a ramp up to my first 5x5 workout.

Thanks Andy!